Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007D2YP4?pc_redir=1411699993&robot_redir=1

Definitely go with a verticle style stuffer, you really don't need one over five pounds. I'm happy with the one I have. It has some plastic components that some people complain about, but your stuffer doesn't go through a whole lot of stress like the grinder does. I don't see them ever wearing out or becoming a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
An auger works perfectly well for grinding, for stuffing though it's way less smooth and you'll end up with more air pockets than compared to a verticle stuffer. Way less reloading too since the chamber will be filled with five pounds of meat all at once instead of needing to be continually filled.

I'm so happy there are other sausage goons in this thread. Has anyone here gotten into making fermented and dry cured varieties? I've only done fresh and smoked so far and want to get into dry curing, but the resources I've been using so far haven't been all that helpful. Rytek doesn't really go over the process that well and always calls for sausage to be smoked as well as cured and hung. Ruhlman on the other hand plays a little too fast and loose with food safety. I'm looking for a book or forum for some advice on how not to give my family botulism.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Anyone grind their own turkey for sausage? I was going to buy some birds soon when they are cheap and make sausage. Is there enough fat or will I need to add a bit of beef or hog fat?

It would be pretty lean for a sausage, but you could get away with just thigh and leg meat. A few months ago we made some sausage that was half chicken thigh and half pork loin (not tenderloin) which turned out really nice. I guess there are all sorts of fat replacement adjuncts available is you really didn't want to add in anything.

I have to disagree with the advice of using rendered chicken fat. Though I've never personally tried using it, all accounts I've read of using a rendered fat describe the sausage as dry and crumbly.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

charliebravo77 posted:

Shot a couple antelope back in October, finally got around to trying to make some sausage. I winged the recipe, I guess it's merguez inspired, heavy on garlic, hot smoked paprika, shallot, red pepper flake, coriander. Smoked them today to take to a party tonight.

Didn't have any pink salt, but I've ordered some for next time. Will the pink salt help to firm up the texture of the sausage some? If not, what will? It's goddamn delicious, but the texture is a bit grainy I guess. Overmixed before stuffing maybe?

I also got a copy of Charcuterie for xmas so the next batch I'm going to do strictly by the book.

Grainy textures can come from the meat being torn instead of cut by the grinder blades. Did you end up with a lot of pink muck jamming up the grinder? Before you grind, cube up your meat and place it on a sheet pan in the freezer for about 20 minutes. The partially frozen meat will easier to grind and have a better texture.

I would recommend Rytek Kutas' book over Charcuterie for smoked and cured sausage. It's a dead horse, but Ruhlman has some bad math in his book and isn't very concerned about food safety.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Hey guys, check your meat grinders, Kitchener 10 and 32 pound manual grinders have been recalled for creating metal shavings.

http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2015/43185r-eng.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
It depends on what you want, the big factor is if you want manual or electric. I went with a manual because it was cheaper, easier to clean, and all the parts are universal. The downside of course is having to turn that crank and you need a bench to bolt it to. (Because of this, we grind our meat in a dirty, dark basement like some kind of prison movie. :chef: ) An electric model is easier, but more difficult to clean every nook and cranny, and you may need to stick to brand/model specific plates and parts.

If you want to stuff sausage, you'll need a verticle stuffer. A lot of grinders advertise as being dual purpose, but they are garbage at stuffing compared to a verticle stuffer. You just end up with way to many air pockets and an inconsistent "flow."

• Locked thread