Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How'd you slice it so evenly? Looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Marry her.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you mean two hours at 320F?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I've taken chunks out of my fingernails and knuckles with my microplane.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

icehewk posted:

Too much salt is rough on the cardiovascular system, but you can always fry a test slice and soak it in your special bucket to even it out.

Thank you for your charcuterie advice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

$110..per pound?

Iberico de bellota is like $170 a pound at Dean and Deluca in Napa.

It's pretty tasty at least.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I was at the grocery store and they had brisket so I bought a piece and made pastrami for the first time.

Here's the brine I made per the Ruhlman recipe.

After three days in the brine it looked like this dead grey thing pictured.

Using a mortar and pestle I ground up black pepper and coriander seed and rubbed it on the outside.

The AMNPS says to light the pellets for 10 minutes with a propane torch. I only have an MAPP/pro torch and after about seven minutes I was getting worried I was going to melt through the AMNPS. I followed the rest of its instructions and it seemed ok.

In the traeger which was also set to "smoke" I got about 6 hours of smoke on the pastrami at which point it was at 150F internal and I wanted to go to bed. I didn't trust the AMNPS all night cold smoking without me there, and didn't want to get up early, so I brought it inside at this point and let it rest in the fridge wrapped in foil for a couple of days.

Then I vacuum bagged it.

I threw it in a 170F water bath and went on a five hour bicycle adventure.

I rested it for about 15 minutes and sliced.

Here's a sandwich. All in all I'd say it came out ok. I might spend more time cooking it, and might cook it a little more done to break it down a bit. As a first try though it was a fun project and the sandwich was pretty good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you're going to do single muscle pastrami, always use the fatty end of a brisket. If you do whole brisket, you'll need to brine for at least 10 days.

That's all they had. It came out ok.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get the ham.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Don't think anybody minds, thanks for the compliment.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

"Uncured" products in celery juice are stupid as hell.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm making bacon for the first time following Ruhlman's recipe here: http://ruhlman.com/2016/04/bacon-time/

Belly in the bag:

Belly in the rub:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I used about 50g of kosher salt for a 3.5lb piece of belly.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cool, I’m glad you guys warned me. I’ll do that next week when it’s done curing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They're both terrible compared to regular bacon.

• Locked thread