Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Would the process for curing a ham be about the same as the one for curing bacon? I don't have access to fresh pork belly at the moment(or Ruhlman's book), but I do have a couple of hams kicking around in my freezer that I've been meaning to cure for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

Did you order it from Ossian? They have the best price on belly that we've found here in Fort Wayne. P.S. Brian and I just got two 3lb jowls. Jowl bacon and guanciale time!

Count me in as curious too. $4.00 per pound at Jamison's is too much to pay, but I didn't really know where else to look, unless I wanted to buy a whole hog for which I don't have freezer space.

EDIT: I should mention I've got my first bacon cooking in the oven right now. I cured it with the basic cure and added in pepper, maple syrup, juniper berries and for the hell of it, a vanilla bean plus its scrapings. We'll see how it went in a couple of hours.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 29, 2012

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

A full blown ham is admittedly a pretty ridiculous first charcuterie project though.

There are a lot of good recipes here, too. It's probably one of my favorite food blogs:
http://frombellytobacon.com/category/charcuterie/

A whole ham was the third curing project I tried, after some bacon and a corned beef brisket. I would recommend a wet cure if it's somebody's first time doing a ham--it's similar to curing a corned beef, but with a (much) larger cut of meat. I managed to smoke mine on a Weber grill and it came out marvelously.

Took goddamn near forever though.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 6, 2014

• Locked thread