Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
So after reading this thread I've now got a copy of Ruhlman's book sitting on my kindle and 10lbs of pork belly in basic cure sitting in my fridge. A couple questions:

1. I have a kegerator I use for dispensing beer. I usually keep it set around 45-55 degrees, and have about 50% relative humidity inside. Would this be close enough to the magic 60^/60% that I could use it as a curing box?

2. I just used the basic dry cure from the Ruhlman book. I'm thinking most of the pork belly will be straight up bacon, but is it too late to converting some into pseudo-pancetta? Seems like the main difference between the two is hanging the pancetta instead of smoking/baking it. Opinions on spices? I've got some tellicherry pepper corns and crushed red pepper coming from butcher-packer, I was thinking maybe black pepper on the bacon and a mixture of red/black for the pancetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Operation bacon trip report: Pulled 2 slabs of belly out of cure last night, dried them off, rolled them in fresh cracked pepper and roasted em in the oven for an hour. Sample piece I fried up was delicious. I also had some scraps I made salt pork out of that I threw in with some balsamico-honey roasted brussels sprouts. They were also goddamn delicious. The last slab of belly wasn't quite cured in the center so I overhauled it again and it'll ideally get pulled tonight and then will be rolled/hung for pancetta.

Next on the hitlist are going to be duck breast proscuitto and some lox. Curing meat kicks rear end.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Mmmmm cured salmon.

Second attempt at doing salmon. Bag blew up in the fridge so I had to add some more cure, water, and then double-bag it, but otherwise I'm quite pleased with how it came out. Tried lemon and dill as flavoring adjuncts this time, I think I'm going to go back to the fennel and caraway seeds for the next time around.

• Locked thread