Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
This thread has inspired me to make my own bacon, so here are some pictures of my first attempt!

I went to the local farmer's market and bought 4 pounds of pork belly. At $3.49 per pound, it's not amazingly cheap, but okay. Apparently it's locally raised Berkshire hogs, so I guess that's something.

I mixed up the spices as directed in the OP:

Later I added honey to the mix, instead of brown sugar.

Unfortunately, at this point I got so involved in preparing the bacon that I don't have pictures. Applied the cure liberally, bagged it up (gallon bags are almost too small) and left it in my fridge for a week. I would occasionally come by and flip the bacon, to make sure the cure was well distributed.

Finally, it's been a week, and I regain my ability to take photograpghs. My bacon comes out of the cure looking glorious.

I place the bacon in a 200 degree oven for 90 minutes, and it comes out looking great, and smelling even better. The entire house is filled with the smell of bacon.

I slice off a piece to cook and taste, and (stupidly) decide that this is a good time to slice the whole slab: when it's hot out of the oven. It goes about as well as you might expect:

It's cut unevenly and often into tiny pieces.. Still, tastes good.

The wife and I eat on this first slab for around a week. When the time comes to slice the second slab, it's cold and considerably easier to slice. Of course it helps that in the meantime I bought one of these:

Things go much better this time:

Still not perfect. While all of the full slices are nearly perfect, as I got down to the end of the slab it became hard to control and wouldn't cut evenly - lots of small uneven scraps. Next time I will freeze the slab for an hour before slicing - I hear that's supposed to make it easier.

All in all, my first bacon was a moderate success.

For my next project:

Maple and brown sugar bacon! Should be ready to come out of the cure tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

The Midniter posted:

That bacon looks delicious and that slicer is awesome. May I ask how much you picked it up for? New or used? Looks brand new.

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Chef's Choice brand I imagine and if that is the case they are fairly cheap at around $135 for that model.

Absolutely correct. $135, well reviewed on Amazon, and works well for my purposes. Not terribly easy to clean though. http://amzn.com/B0058VCYWS

It's not quite professional grade. The blade moves slower than I expected but the blade is serrated and razor sharp, so it goes through the bacon like it's nothing.

Teflon gloves are a good idea to go with it. http://amzn.com/B003TV40XA

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Update time!

The brown sugar maple bacon was a success.

It came out of the cure looking glorious.

A quick 90 minutes in the oven dried it out nicely.

However, tragedy - my wife finds the bacon too salty. A soak in ice water in the fridge for 6 hours drew out a good deal of the salt and made it palatable.

Slicing up the bacon on my awesome deli slicer got me my first injury in the line of bacon-making duty:

Not to worry, just a small nick under my fingernail while cleaing the blade.

Time to package this up. Oh wait, what's that? That's right, a new vacuum sealer, for easier storage of my bacon.

The vacuum sealer has other, non-charcuterie uses too:

Not to mention, between the new slicer and the new sealer, my cat now has a kick-rear end box fort:

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Latest bacon experiment: spicy cajun with brown sugar!

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Errant Gin Monks posted:

both links have been added to the op. If you all want me to add other lists of things to buy let me know and I will update it.

NB: Shipping from Butcher-Packer is $9.75, at least to my area. Amazon may actually be cheaper, especially if you've got prime. Not sure how B-P handles shipping to different areas or if you're ordering multiple items.

I got my Cure #1 from Amazon, it's been working great so far. Either should work, but definitely a good idea to have both links. Maybe something about the shipping cost from B-P should be the OP.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

You know, I was thinking of making whiskey bacon. I was unsure how to do it. Until now.

Please excuse me if I steal this recipe to use in my bacon.

MiTEG posted:

Experiment! I made six duck breasts worth of prosciutto a couple months ago and had fun trying it with different flavor combinations. Some of my favorites:

fig bruschetta with duck prosciutto, arugula and balsamic reduction
burrata bruschetta with duck prosciutto and caramelized balsamic onions
mixed green salad with duck prosciutto, candied walnuts, dried cranberries & balsamic vinaigrette

I know of a friend that uses it in tacos.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 20, 2014

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Musket posted:

Tools needed:

Mortar and pestle
Silicon cupcake holders
Baking Pan
Oven
Timer
Rocksalt

Set oven to its lowest temp setting. Mine is 200f. Pour about 1/2 ounce of bourbon into each silicon cupcake tin you want to use. I use 8 for a total of 4oz used. Place silicon cups on baking tray and place in oven. I tend to keep the rack about mid-way from top and bottom for this.

Leave it alone for 12-18hours. Your oven may vary. You want the lowest setting for this to work. You know you are done when you are left with a crystal formation at the bottom of those silicon cups.

Extract crystallized bourbon from baking cups and place in mortar.

Add very coarse rocksalt. (I have used smoked salt and regular sea salt in rock form. I personally like the smoked sea salt for this.)

Beat to coarse table salt size or to preference. Use as much or as little of the crystallized bourbon as you feel is needed. Start off light, this flavor is potent. Bourbon salt goes a long way. If you are making a curing salt, go hog wild a bit on the Bourbon amounts you will mix in. You want that flavor to seep in. If you are making a table salt or want to use this as a garnish or dessert salt, go light on the bourbon crystals.

Recommended Bourbons based on my use:

Buffalo Trace, Bulliet Rye, Temperance (is pure poo poo bourbon, so feel free to waste this as much as you want) Angels Envy, Makers 46. You want to use a quality bourbon here. One for the salt, One for the Cook.

Okay, I tried this the other day, all I was left with was a stain in the bottom of my cupcake holders. I'm wondering what I did wrong.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Thinking of trying to make "gingerbread bacon" during my next batch - basically add all the spices from gingerbread cookies (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg) to the cure along with dark brown muscovado sugar. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Nicol Bolas posted:

Gingerbread bacon sounds like it would go beautifully in a BLT with dried or roasted tomatoes on pumpernickel or rye or some other dark bread.

Yeah, writing this suggestion down.

• Locked thread