Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
I went to a butchery course at a living history site a month ago. We went nose-to-tail, 1790's style. Really interesting stuff and the instructor was knowledgeable about butchery in practically every decade in American history. So I started looking at local butchery courses and found a place that was having a class taught by Ryan Farr of 4505 Meats.

I wasn't able to make it, but I checked out the restaurant and they have a Christmas charcuterie basket. I just picked mine up today and sitting in my fridge right now are:
8 oz. jar duck foie gras
8 oz. jar pork rillettes
1 lb. venison terrine
4 oz. finocchiona
4 oz. saucisson sec
1/2 lb. pancetta

Along with some crackers, insanely delicious biscuits, and mustards. So I know where I'll be spending a lot of money soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
I think I made a bacon mistake.

I used Ruhlman's recipe for a basic dry rub (1 lb salt, 8oz sugar, 10tsp pink salt), added some spices, and used it on five pounds of pork belly. It's been about a week and I'm ready to smoke it, then I happened to glance at the book again. It says to use a quarter cup of cure for 3-5 lbs of belly. I got a little nitrite-scared and realized I used about 10x the amount of nitrite, or about 2.5x higher than the maximum limit for human consumption.

The bacon will be eaten by the trash can, and I'll have to wait another week.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

battlemonk posted:

I post all of this because I'd like to solicit your experiences with doing charcuterie work in restaurants. Are there things I should avoid because the Health Department will flip their poo poo? That sort of thing.

I don't work in the restaurant industry, but I remember watching Food Network's "The Big Waste" when chefs had to make meals from food that was about to be thrown out. A food safety person came by and allowed all the food to be used except for prosciutto because it hadn't been properly refrigerated. Anne Burrell got pissed because the meat was cured, but he made them throw it out.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

nominal posted:

Quoth Ruhlman on his own blog: "i have brined beef without pink salt and you’re right, it works just fine. there is some flavor difference but the biggest difference is it looks like pot roast, not corned beef."

Personally, I wouldn't skip it. Pink salt is not particularly expensive and if I'm going to spend a week waiting to eat something, I'm not really going to skimp on anything.

I started making Ruhlman's corned beef last week and ate it tonight. The only weird thing I saw was that the brine must not have penetrated all the way through. After cooking the beef, there was a slight brown area that ran through the center. It was cooked all the way through, but it just looked a little odd. Five pounds of brisket, six adults, and there are three slices left. So it definitely tasted right.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is a really stupid question but is it safe for me to taste the pink salt directly? Like I won't get a nitrate overdose or anything will I?

Pink salt is 93% salt. If you taste it, it will taste like salt.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

Aramoro posted:

So I took my first bit of corned beef (following the Rhulman recipe) out and boiled it up and it was super tasty. The only thing was it was only pink to about half an inch into the meat. It all tasted fine but it was as if the nitrates had not penetrated deep enough (or perhaps any of the cure). What went wrong?

How long did you leave it in the brine? I did a thick brisket for six days, and it was pink all the way through except for this grey sliver that ran through the center. I was thinking an extra day or two would have done the job.

• Locked thread