Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Silly question, difference between jerky and bacon? I assume it's just the cut of meat, because it sounds like it's made in much the same way.

Nope, completely different ways. Bacon is cured and then usually smoked, jerky is dehydrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

KWC posted:

Bacons

That was an awesome post, great job overall.

The amount of nipples on your pork belly is hilarious. Your slicing is pretty uneven. To get more uniform slices, maybe try a sharper knife, or partially freeze the meat so that it's easier to slice more uniformly? Just some ideas to help perfect this process without going so far as to buy a dedicated slicing machine. Again, delicious looking bacon!

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

I am trying some things, duck prosciutto and pancetta.

The recipe for pancetta I used says leave it in the cure for 7 days, and the duck prosciutto says leave it for 1 day. Why are these times so different? Also, the pancetta recipe doesn't say anything about wrapping with cheesecloth and the duck one did. Can I wrap the pancetta as well? What is the difference?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

That makes sense, thanks.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

I made 2 charcuteries so far, both from the Ruhlman book. Duck prosciutto, and pancetta. I feel they turned out very well for being made in a fridge:

Here is the finished duck prosciutto (front centre) on a tray with purchased lonza, bresaola, parma prosciutto and soppressata that I put out at my new years party:

Served with cheese tray containing buffalo milk semi soft cheese, apricot stilton, smokey blue cheese, grey owl, 10 yr old cheddar, cranberry peppercorn compote.

and mostly homemade pickle tray: pumpkin pickles, standard pickles, white asparagus pickles, spicy pickled green beans, pepperoncini, sun dried tomatoes:

Here is the finished pancetta:

Sliced thickly for making lardons as needed:

The duck was better than I've had from a local butcher shop that makes it in house (http://www.thevillagebutcher.ca/), but not quite as good as from a local restaurant that makes it in house (http://theblackhoof.com/). The Hoof must add something special to their cure, I will continue to work on stealing their secrets.

The pancetta was fantastic, honestly better than expected. I put it in meatballs so far and am planning on trying some carbonara involving it next week.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

mindphlux posted:

goddamn, were you feeding like 20 people with those trays?

Yep

Joe Friday posted:

Can you hook me up with your pickle recipes or post them in the home canning/pickling thread? I'd love the pumpkin pickle recipe especially.

Sure, I will do that soon and post it in that thread.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Jose posted:

I've just put my brisket in to boil for corned beef. I'm a bit concerned it wasn't a uniform colour. It was pinkish near the bottom but somewhat brown at the top. It was in the brine in the fridge but I didn't have the brine in an airtight container, just a bowl with clingfilm over the top. Does this matter?

Sounds like it wasn't fully submerged and your nitrates didn't protect the pinkness of the top of the beef. Next time, flip it over each day during the corning, or keep it in a freezer bag full of brine like this:

They are in glass trays in case the seal fails.

Since it's grey and not green you're probably fine to eat it, sounds like enough salt soaked up through the beef to halt bacterial growth. You'll know by the smell if it's not safe.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Petey posted:

I'm going to make Ruhlman's bacon from the OP this coming week. Just to confirm:

1) It should be good for a few weeks in a ziploc bag in the fridge
2) I can freeze it indefinitely with no health or taste issues

1 is true, but for 2, indefinitely is wrong - almost anything in a home freezer doesn't taste as good after a year or so.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Breaky posted:

I'd like to make some sausage etc on the cheap and I've seen meat grinder / stuffer attachments that can be stuck to a Kitchenaid Mixer. Anyone have experience / advice with these? If those are not a good option, any recommendations for cheap meat grinders / sausage making materials?

The grinder is fine, but it's not a high volume machine by any means. If you're just going to make stuff for your own family, it should do the trick. I haven't tried the sausage stuffer though.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

I pair pretty much any type of charcuterie with various pickles / cheese / mustard / baguette.

Oh and wine... lots of wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

For some odd reason, I cannot find cheesecloth or butcher's twine where I live. Not at grocer's, not at the restaurant supply store, and not even at the butcher's. I'm assuming I can just use any old string or a metal hook to hang meat, but is there anything I can use in place of cheesecloth?

Can you not order it online? Otherwise, hardware stores will have it.

• Locked thread