Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I smoke pork shoulder (bkne-in butts) at 225-250 until internal temp hits 200*. Remove and wrap with foil, a few towels and throw into a cooler for 1-4 hours.

Putting a rub on overnight gives the outer layer a real "hammy" flavor in my experience.

Also, I slather the shoulder with yellow mustard prior to applying rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Definitely requesting the rhulman book for Christmas

All of this looks amazing...and I have a smoker!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Definitely a cheapass knockoff. Real BGE has dimpled surface, different hinge mechanism.

I highly doubt the knockoffs can handle high temp cooks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
BGE's are not cast iron...not even close. They are ceramic.

You would be better off buying a used large bge than a lovely Chinese knockoff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well I seem to have miscounted my recent bacon making episode. I have found another package that had fallen behind the bottom drawer of the curing fridge. This means it has been in the cure for a month.

I rinsed it off and it still smells fine. Should I dare it?

Just got the Ruhlman charcuterie book for Christmas, and it states that if it has cured too long or tastes too salty, blanch it in simmering water for 1 minute before cooking. This assumes you have already cooked it to 150* internal temperature, per the standard procedure for bacon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Google "making Bacon without nitrates" I saw a few relevant results

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pfhreak posted:

I got a BGE as a gift this holiday season and while I'm tickled with the concept of grilling with it I get a serious :awesome: when I think about smoking with it. Living in Seattle gives me access to some awesome salmon. The bacon pictures in this thread have me going already.

Problem is, I've never cured or smoked anything in my life. Other than the Ruhlman book (which is being delivered to my kindle while I type this) are there resources I should be reading?

I'm a bge cultist, live up in Everett but we could always shoot the poo poo if you're up for it. I've gotten pretty good with smoking, grilling and making pizzas on my bge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think his book had another recipe for a version without sugar, ill take a look at it tonight and report back.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jose posted:

Following the cure for bacon from here http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

Does it matter if I remove the sugar? I don't want to make sweet cure bacon and unless the sugar is necessary would prefer to completely remove it

Rhulman's book states for 'savory bacon' use 5 smashed cloves of garlic, 3 crushed bay leaves, 10g partially crushed black peppercorns. But this is used with the 'basic cure' which does use granulated sugar or dextrose.

It says that its probably not ideal for slicing and cooking but for use in recipes.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 13, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How much per pound? I gave up and got some from Amazon but I haven't used it much yet

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've had two pieces of pork belly in the fridge for a week now per ruhlman's charcuterie recipe but one of them is still not firm--I really need to bake them tonight or tomorrow morning because I'm going out of town--should I just go ahead and wash them off and cook anyway, even if one is not firm?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

I've had two pieces of pork belly in the fridge for a week now per ruhlman's charcuterie recipe but one of them is still not firm--I really need to bake them tonight or tomorrow morning because I'm going out of town--should I just go ahead and wash them off and cook anyway, even if one is not firm?

Bump. Finally back home and the thinner belly is now firm after two weeks of sitting in the cure liquid. Safe to go ahead with baking it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

goodness posted:

I had some smoked salmon (from the store yeah I know) this weekend and was reminded just how much I loved it. Whats the deal with getting a whole salmon, it may be a little harder than finding a pork belly it seems (in Arkansas). Maybe I am overthinking it and I don't need a whole salmon?

I asked about cooking bacon in the oven before, and its good to know I can. But besides buying my own smoker, is there a good DIY smoker that I could construct (for the bacon and salmon)?

For a DIY smoker to make bacon or salmon, look up alton brown's smoker or look up gravity84's post on his terracotta smoker.

you can make as much or as little smoked salmon so you can use a whole fillet or just a few chunks. if you're going through the trouble, i would make a lot though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ShadowStalker posted:

Quit buying cheap lump charcoal. I use the Big Green Egg Lump charcoal and have never seen crap like you mention and I go through a bag a month. There's a website that ranks lump charcoal by user reviews where you can weed out the crap brands that have junk in the bags.

I HAVE found that poo poo in the BGE charcoal, 2 or 3 times actually. It's overpriced royal oak and I'll never buy it or cowboy charcoal again.

Wicked Good charcoal is my go-to for grilling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes, you can stop with the lovely gimmick posts now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Peasants. Factory hog is 1.39 a pound. If anyone is near a restaurant depot and wants to use a day pass to buy a whole case pm me.

It definitely changes it. It firms it up, drives out some moisture and makes it sliceable after its chilled again. It also renders off some of the loose fat. It also makes the peppercorns stick better!

Anyway I have never tried not bringing it up to temp. I have researched that in order to not smoke it you can hang it to dry for 2 weeks after washing off the cure and get the same result.

I might have to take you up on this, how big is a case of belly or ribs? :getin:

• Locked thread