Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Gann Jerrod posted:

How well does the bacon in the OP's recipe freeze? I'm very interested in doing this project, but I don't want to be stuck with 3 pounds of rotting bacon.

I have some cured lardons leftover from a batch I did in July in the fridge that are still edible. Some of the refrigerated slices started to get a bit of mold though. It freezes fairly well though as long as it's stored properly. I generally store the slices tightly wrapped in press-n-seal and put inside a freezer ziploc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

EvilLile posted:

I'm almost positive it's a blend of sodium nitrite and regular salt. I thought Ruhlman mentioned the percents in his book, but I'm not seeing it.

Going from memory, the typical pink salt is 93.75% standard salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite (I might be off by a half percent).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Deathwing posted:

Neat fact - sodium nitrate is also naturally present in a bunch of fruits and veggies, especially leafy greens. Might as well deny Mother Nature the kill and go out eating delicious bacon!

I believe the most common substitute is celery seed. Myself, I just use pink salt and ration my bacon consumption.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I like turtles posted:

What you could do would be to paint the outside of your bacon with whiskey or something before cooking/smoking, maybe baste it occasionally during the process.

Or use oak as part of your smoking wood. Since whiskey is aged in oak, you'll get some of the same flavours but it won't quite be the same.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

bunnielab posted:

My bacon is too salty. :(

I left it in the cure for 10 days because it didn't seem firm enough. I now regret that. Happily it was only a 1.5lb chunk so I can blanch it and use it up as an ingredient.

Also, I oven roasted it and it really lacking the smoky "bacon" flavor. I think I will get some hardwood pellets and smoke the next one.

Because clearly I am going out tomorrow and buying an other belly.

Soak the belly in water for an hour. Change the water and do it again. It'll be a lot more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've done plenty of bacon before (delicious by the way), but I'm interested in expanding to meats that need to be hung and dried. How important is the humidity level for something like a duck prosciutto that isn't going to be hanging for super long? I'm a homebrewer and I don't have space for yet another fridge, unfortunately.

• Locked thread