Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Quick question about bacon. I just bought all the stuff I need for my first attempt but then realized I have to go out of town for a few days next weekend. Will adding 2-3 days to the curing make a major difference or become damaging in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Does anybody have any tasty/fun uses for the skin I shaved off of my pork belly?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I finished my first batch of bacon this weekend. Overall the flavor was good except it turned out too salty. I'm pretty sure that's because I messed up with the ration and made the cure from the original post which is for a 5lb slab but only used about 3.5lbs of pork belly. Still edible but will probably use more as an added component to other food. The hardest part about the whole process was slicing it. I already wanted to get a deli-slicer but now I think it's a guarenteed purchase whenever I get some extra cash.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm toying with doing a whiskey/bourbon bacon this weekend. I'm thinking of using Ruhlman's basic dry cure plus some dark brown sugar and maybe some honey. For the whiskey flavor I think I'll marinade the belly in whiskey before hand. Does the alcohol pose any harm or additional challenge to the process? I'm prepared to cook the alcohol out of the whiskey if needed.

If anyone has experience with these ingredients or a proven recipe I'd appreciate it.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I ended up doing Ruhlman's cure, about 1/2 cup of whiskey, 1/4 honey, and about 5 grams of cracked pepper for about 2.75 lb belly. We'll see in a week how it goes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I've yet to do a full 5lb slab and most of mine have been around the 2-2.5 range before the cure. I've been calculating the amount based off of ratio. With the exception of my first attempt which went a day longer than planned they've all turned out fine. Ruhlman describes using firmness as an indicator as well to test readiness. Or, at the very least you can cut off a small piece and cook it.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I recently acquired a food dehydrator. Are there any fun/creative things you guys would recommend using it for?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I did a whiskey/honey brine a few months back that turned out really well. Another one of my favorites was a coffee, cocoa powder, and a few dashes of vanilla extract. These were both done in the oven as I didn't have a smoker at that time, so I can't speak to how the flavors would work when smoked.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Does anybody have any good recommendations for sausage stuffers? I won't be doing large batches and, if possible, I'd like to keep it below $100.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm experimenting with making a stout bacon. I have the belly already in the fridge with the usual amount of Ruhlman's cure on it with some stout and maple syrup. I'm trying to determine if I should add additional cure at any point since there is more liquid than usual from the beer. Anyone have experience with using beer/alcohol/other liquids for bacon flavor?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Last year I did some home-cured bacon for a bunch of people that turned out pretty well so I'm thinking of doing it again. Problem is, I don't want to repeat the recipes so I'm trying to think of some new ideas. Anybody have any unique cure recipes they've used in the past?

Last year I did
-Whiskey and Honey
-Coffee and Cocoa
-Sriracha

This year I also have a smoker at my disposal. I've heard good things about using pecan wood for bacon so I'll probably try that. Any other ideas?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Last week I started my first attempt at duck breast prosciutto. I've had it hanging in cheesecloth for 7 days and I realize I forgot to weigh it before. When the recipe says that it is down when it's firm, how firm are we talking? Right now it's definitely more firm than raw but there's still some give in the middle.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Asking a question that's probably been asked several times, but for the holidays it wanted to make some bacon as gifts. Circumstances kept me from getting my usual belly but I can get some frozen belly, which I've never used. What kind of drop in quality can I expect, if any?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

So I'm doing to cures at the moment, a brown sugar and pepper with some herbs, and I noticed something when they're side by side. The brown sugar one has a significant amount more liquid in the container. My guess is the pepper and herbs absorb moisture better than the brown sugar but I figure'd I check here to see if anyone has encountered also and if so if it could indicate anything. My only guess would be adjust the amount of curing salt, but I'm still inclined to think it's no big deal.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Good enough for me, thanks!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Christmas bacon!

poo poo, edited out the massive picture.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 22, 2015

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm planning on trying out my new sausage stuffer I got for Christmas this weekend. I have a few basic sausage recipes, but I was curious if anyone had any suggestions. I realize that's not exactly charcuterie but I figured this would be a good thread to ask.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Get the ham.

Also, it was already said but they will cut it very thin. Certainly it's amazing that way but if you want to make it last a bit more toast some baguette and rub a little garlic and tomato on it. Just rub, you still want the ham to be the star of the show so you'll only want a hint of garlic/tomato. Again, the ham on it's own is amazing but this will help you spread it out if you're using it as an appetizer or snack for a party.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 15, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I had to trim a solid 2.5 lbs off of a brisket I'm smoking this weekend so I decided to make corned beef. I just wanted to double check something. I'll be using Ruhlman's recipe for corned beef and I think I should use the same ratios for the brine but since the piece is half of what he recommends it may not take the full 5-7 days? If that's true does anyone know what to look for to know it's cured properly (ie firmness, weightloss, etc.)?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Searching for a place in my home to hang some meat to cure but I don't have the perfect environment. I can choose:

1. Kitchen: ~70°, proper humidity, no direct sunlight

2. Basement: ~60°, low humidity, dark

3. Neither will work and stick to buying cured meat.

The only other places might be a closet but it won't get much airflow.

Thoughts?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I found fresh duck breasts locally ($20/lb :monocle: Everywhere else only had frozen) and am going to make some prosciutto this weekend.
I'm torn on flavor profiles and wanted to bounce a few ideas.

My 3 profiles are:
  • Just salt and the dusting of white pepper
  • Dried unsweetened cherries/crystallized ginger/fennel seed/allspice
  • Ginger/star anise/black pepper/fennel seed

Thoughts?

Yes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Not exactly a charcuterie topic, but this seems like a good thread for this. Anybody ever experiment with making flavored salts? I recently stumbled upon a simple shallot salt recipe that I'm going to try but I'd be curious to try others.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Not exactly a charcuterie topic, but this seems like a good thread for this. Anybody ever experiment with making flavored salts? I recently stumbled upon a simple shallot salt recipe that I'm going to try but I'd be curious to try others.

Finished up the shallot salt last night. Turned out pretty good although next time I'll up the ratio of shallot. For anyone who's curious it was pretty easy:

Mince 1 medium shallot
Mix with 2/3 cup kosher salt (next time I'll do this all by weight to be more precise)
Cover and refrigerate 5 days, stirring daily
I dried it out by putting it in a thin layer in a casserole dish, put it in a cold oven and slowly increased temperature up to 400 until it was dry.
Grind in spice/coffee grinder.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Tell me you're not actually trying to clean the blade while it's spinning. Right?

You guys don't clean your deli slicer by soaking a loaf of bread in soapy water and slicing it a few times? Amateurs.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

This weekend is one of the largest community yard sales for my city. Every year I consider buying either a mini-fridge or wine fridge with the hopes of converting it to a curing fridge. Looking for honest opinions, is this a realistic goal? I'm not experienced with changing electric components of something like a fridge but I'm good at following step-by-step directions and I've seen several online for just this sort of thing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Do you have space for a full-sized fridge? If so, don't mess around with a mini-fridge. Go on Craigslist, buy a frost-free model (or a standing freezer, which is actually better), a humidifier and a hygrostat/thermostat. It will work way better than a wine or dorm fridge, there is no need for any wiring or electrical equipment and the whole setup will be under $200.

Unfortunately I don't have the space right now. I'll keep that in mind because I'm hoping to move in the next year so unless a perfectly priced one is found I might pass.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I just discovered a local butcher has some wild boar belly. Have any of you ever made wild boar bacon? If so, thoughts/suggestions?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

A sausage question, this seems to be the most logical thread. I'm trying to get better at the process. My flavors are good but I keep having my links bust at the ends. I imagine I may just be stuffing them too tightly. If I stuff the proper amount, twist, and let rest in the fridge maybe over night should the links stay together without issue when they're separated? If there's any other tricks/suggestions I'm all ears.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I got a little better with my most recent batch this weekend. At times I'd twist them, let them rest, and then separate them with the ends leaking open. I did a huge batch this weekend so I had opportunity to try a few different things. No cooking, low and slow in the oven, and low and slow on a smoker. The low and slow cooking seemed to do the trick but of course this was after I made a conscious effort to not over stuff them. The new lesson that I learned though was I need to be willing to poke them much more than I did to let more air out of the casing. Oh well, I'll just have to make more to practice.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

hakimashou posted:

do you know or does n e one kno how too maej uncured bacon wit celery?

Did you have a stroke right before posting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

Look at the post they quoted.

Oops, my bad.

• Locked thread