Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

I like turtles posted:

I'm to the point that I considered buying a deli slicer to better slice my meat. I don't have any room to do this, though.

The Deli at the grocery store will always slice my homecured meats for free, usually all you have to do is ask!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Jose posted:

I've got some pork loin which I intend to cure and smoke. Not really knowing the cuts of pork, what is traditionally back bacon and what will I end up with using loin, since I'm expecting it won't be bacon?

Smoked pork loin is basically canadian bacon, typically. Really depends on the preparation and slicing thought.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Rangpur posted:

But first, a question about cutting the meat. I sure as hell don't have a deli-slicer, so I planned to just use my chef's knife. What's the consensus on prepping this stuff for the pan? Should I slice it all up in one go, and freeze the remainder? Cut up only what I expect to eat right away? What's a good thickness to shoot for?

Seriously, just wrap it up and take it to your local grocery store (or butcher). Every one around me will gladly slice it for free. I've tried to hand slice, and its just a pain in the rear end, especially once you take it into the store, and they're done in under a minute.

• Locked thread