Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Where do you all get your pork bellies? I haven't found one meat market / butcher in the Memphis area that has them. I did find a packing company that does because they process pig there. It's like 2.35/lb and I'm not sure if that's a good price, but for 11 bucks I'll have a 5lb slab of pork belly, I'm not going to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I just got 50lbs of pork belly. I also just ordered pink salt and got Charcuterie on iBooks.

gently caress yeah let's do this!

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Bad news: I lost 50lbs of pork belly to a freezer dying.

Good news: Talked to the guy in charge of charcuterie at a local restaurant. He gave me some things to read and look over and that he was interested in an apprentice. I want to make something that will show him I'm serious.

Any ideas?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm toying with doing a whiskey/bourbon bacon this weekend. I'm thinking of using Ruhlman's basic dry cure plus some dark brown sugar and maybe some honey. For the whiskey flavor I think I'll marinade the belly in whiskey before hand. Does the alcohol pose any harm or additional challenge to the process? I'm prepared to cook the alcohol out of the whiskey if needed.

If anyone has experience with these ingredients or a proven recipe I'd appreciate it.

I actually have a maple whiskey bacon that is curing right now. I just mixed whiskey with maple syrup and added it to the basic cure.

I hope it comes out alright.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I sliced all my bacon up and the end pieces are super salty. I'm trying a couple of regular pieces.

If it's still as salty, soak in cold water? Blanch? What's the best method?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Tweek posted:

gently caress that, make some beans.

I'm making some brussel sprouts with it tomorrow. I cooked a piece of it and it isn't as salty. I must've had some of the end pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Tweek posted:

My kingdom for a slicer.

All I have is my long slicer knife and a hand-crank deli slicer from the 50s.

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbZPOx4-iM

• Locked thread