Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Joborgzorz posted:

Planning to take my first go at charcuterie in the next few days by using the Ruhlman recipe/method in the OP.

I just want to confirm something though. The recipe says:

2 teaspoons pink curing salt #1 (I use this DQ Cure from Butcher-Packer, $2)

Is this referring to the pre-mixed curing salts (i.e. prague powder #1) or pure sodium nitrite? I'm assuming it's the blend but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!

You would be correct -- the recipe calls for preblended curing salt.

Pure sodium nitrite is more suited to chemistry labs than kitchens -- it's toxic in certain amounts. That's part of the reason why curing salt doesn't contain much nitrite by percentage, and it's dyed pink to keep it from being confused with sugar or regular salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread