Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
I am going to try making some bacon with the recipe in the original post, the butcher wants to know if I want skin-on or skin-off pork belly. Google tells me either works but the skin-on helps protect it during the cooking process. For anyone who has made some bacon, is it hard to remove the skin or better to just get skin-off belly?

edit: Upon rereading the thread, I think I will go with Skin-on pork belly

Kid fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
I made some bacon using the OP recipe! It taste great, with a nice herby taste, however the slices are a little too thick and get chewy after cooking. Next time I will slice them a bit thinner, and probably adjust the seasonings a bit to make a more peppery bacon. I diced up the pork skin and used it for an amazing soup stock base.

I bought 10 pounds of skin on pork belly, and cut it in half for easier handling

I tried to do one set of seasoning using brown sugar and the other with honey, but the honey mix didn’t work out and I ended up using brown sugar mix on both pieces.

Then bagged them in 2-gallon ziplocs and placed in the fridge

After a week of curing, with me flipping the bag over each morning, I rinsed the belly off

And baked it. Hopefully I will have a smoker before I make another batch.
Once it reached the correct temperature

I pulled it and let it cool before removing the skin. I had a little trouble with this, cutting too deep into the fat, but that was just my inexperience with a knife.

Once that was done, it was time to slice it up. My slicer was too small and could not fit the entire length on the sliding tray so the slices did not come out perfect.

After slicing a mountain of bacon, I wrapped it up in Clingfilm for freezing and fried a few pieces up to try.

Kid fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 10, 2012

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
I have a baconmergency!

I am making another 10-lb of bacon, and I think I messed it up pretty badly. I cured it in the fridge for a week, then forgot to bake it and sliced it right away.

Is there any way to fix this? Think i can just heat the slices in the stove now then pack them away? Or would it be better to freeze everything and defrost a few slices as needed?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wow... I don't know. It won't keep as long since it wasn't heat treated or smoked. I think I might freeze it and fry as needed.
That is what I am thinking might be my only solution.

Kid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 18, 2012

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

MiTEG posted:

The bacon should be fine the fridge for a week or so or in the freezer for a lot longer. The sodium nitrate takes care of most of the harmful bacteria. instead of roasting my bacon in the oven I cold smoked it at around 60 degrees for 8 hours. I've been cooking sliced pieces from the freezer for the past few months to no ill effect.

forgot to take pictures last night, but I made corned beef using Ruhlman's recipe and it turned out excellent. Tonight I'm going to smoke a few pounds of it to make pastrami.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wow... I don't know. It won't keep as long since it wasn't heat treated or smoked. I think I might freeze it and fry as needed.

Thanks for the replies, I was worried I might have to scrap the whole batch. I'll keep it frozen and takes slices out as needed.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
Time for some more bacon!
I found a butcher (around Pine Grove, PA) who butchers his own pigs and got a 10-lb belly (around $2.30 per lb.)

Seasoned it up with the recipe in the OP and tossed it in the fridge for a week.

Pulled it out, washed the seasoning off and let it rest in the fridge overnight then popped the belly into the smoker. Smoked it at 200 with mesquite wood until I hit an internal temp of 145 (about 4-5 hours)

I froze the smoked belly overnight for easier slicing, then cut it up.

Once I go through / give away most of this batch, I think the next belly will be triple-cold smoked, just have to build a cold smoke box to adapt the electric smoker.

edit:
Sorry, thought I had posted the thumbnail version to start with

Kid fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
So I got another batch of pork belly to make some bacon. But rather than 1 big belly the butcher gave me 10 pounds of pork belly chunks, some big some small. Think it will still work for bacon?

• Locked thread