Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does anyone know where I can buy pink curing salt in Canada (Preferably online)? I found a place that sells Morton's Tender Quick but that seems to have very little Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Carbon Thief posted:

If you're in the Calgary or Toronto areas, Bass Pro Shops carry LEM brand Meat Cure, which seems to be the same as pink curing salt.

I've been to Bass Pro Shops before. I'll try to make a detour next time I'm near there.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Stick to liquid smoke for indoor cooking

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tweek posted:

So you're saying don't cook indoors?

I'm not following...

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Big Beef City posted:

True story my mom was a lab tech at a company that helped discover/commercialize liquid smoke.
She can't even talk about it to this day without gagging.

Why does it make her gag?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A meat and cheese store in the middle of mennonite country sold me what I think is pure Sodium Nitrate. He said to mix 2 oz of it per gallon of water. Am I going to die?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

holttho posted:

Use for long-curing meats. Typical use is roughly 1-2g per 500g.

If you don't have the nitrite, I make no guarantees. Nitrate turns into nitrite over time, so if you don't have the nitrite, you may not be protecting yourself in the timezone that it guards at.

Thanks, I'll call them up and ask them for more info. Truth be told, my friend picked it up from them and didn't ask exactly what it is.

Edit: called them up and it's 6% sodium nitrate, the rest is just regular salt.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 29, 2014

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I made the bacon recipe in the OP and just smoked it on my Big Green Egg today. I really don't think I can go back to store bought bacon again. What have you done to me, thread??

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm in awe that someone can see maggots on a piece of meat and think "it's still good!". This isn't casu marzu we're talking about here.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Guys, I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole goes:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If I want to make Montreal Smoked Meat and I have a recipe for a 12-14 pound brisket, can I just cut the recipe down for my 3.5 pound brisket? ie 1/4 tablespoons pink salt instead of 1 tablespoon.

For reference, this is the recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/montreal-smoked-meat-recipe.html

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I ordered the 50mm sausage kit from http://www.drybagsteak.com/ and I'm thinking of making some soppressata. I have a fridge with a middle section that can be set anywhere from -1->5C, would this be adequate for drying?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Does this recipe look ok? There doesn't seem to be enough salt for 2 whole duck breasts...

https://www.drybagsteak.com/recipe-charcuterie-duck-prosciutto.php

quote:

Dry Cure Ingredients

Duck breasts (magret de canard) 2- 7oz (200g)
Kosher salt (sel gros) 2 tsp (6g)
Brown sugar (cassonade) 2 tsp (12g)
Juniper berries (baies de geniérve) 2
Bay leaf (feuille de laurier) 1
Black pepper (poivre noir) 1/2 tsp (4g)
Smoked paprika (paprika fumé) 1/8 tsp (1g)
Instructions

Mix Dry Cure Ingredients well and rub onto meat, making sure to cover all nooks and crannies.
Transfer meat into a Ziplock or Foodsaver bag and place in your refrigerator for one week to cure.
After the curing process, remove meat from bag, and rinse off cure under running water.
Transfer to UMAi Dry® and place place on an open wire rack to dry in your refrigerator four to eight weeks, or until 35-40% reduction in weight.
After drying is complete, slice thin and enjoy! For perfect, paper thin slices every time, we highly recommend the Chef's Choice Model 632 Deli Slicer.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EngineerJoe posted:

Does this recipe look ok? There doesn't seem to be enough salt for 2 whole duck breasts...

https://www.drybagsteak.com/recipe-charcuterie-duck-prosciutto.php

Edit: just found their video where they use 18g of salt, does that make more sense?

Edit 2: I clearly can't edit for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Great, another cannibal

• Locked thread