Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with making rillettes?

I was hoping to make some to bring as an appetizer to a Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe a duck, pork, and the trout rillettes from Ruhlman.

Just wondering if there are any modifications to be made to Ruhlman's recipes, or are they pretty much fool-proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

snailassault posted:

Pork rilettes are ridiculously tasty, and really easy to make.

Thanks for the help with the rillettes project.

I ended up making 3 types: duck, pork, and trout.

For the duck I made confit in the sous vide. I used star anise and orange zest for the flavoring. I ended up not having enough duck fat to use in the rillettes, so I ended up making some schmaltz from some chickens, and using that instead. To beef up the flavor of the final product, I incorporated some port soaked currants.

For the traditional pork rillettes I rendered about a cup of lard from 1.5 pounds of pork fat. I am not sure from what part of the animal the fat came from - there were some language barriers at the asian market. I cubed 2 pounds of pork shoulder and rubbed it with thyme, salt, and pepper. Let it sit over night. From that point forward I followed Ruhlman's recipe. Instead of incorporating the pork/chicken stock back into the shredded meat, I used some of my reserved lard. I seasoned the mixture, heavily, as was suggested.

Lastly, I made a trout rillette using canned, smoked trout from Trader Joe's. This recipe was also from Ruhlman. Instead of using white wine, as he suggests, I used sweet vermouth (didn't feel like making a trip to the store).

Tried all three before packing them up and they taste great. Hopefully, when I serve them for thanksgiving, they will be even better.

beefnchedda fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2011

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Just started the cure on some duck proscuitto. I had two questions: (1) should pink salt have been added to the salt? I have seen conflicting recipes online, and Ruhlman's seems to only call for kosher salt; (2) how long should the breast remain in the salt for? Since some recipes call for 24 hours and some call for a week, I wanted to check-in with people who would know. Thanks!

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
So I am attempting to make duck proscuitto for Thanksgiving.

I had the breast hanging in refrigerator, wrapped in cheesecloth for 14 days, but it has only lost 1.5 ounces (9% weight loss).
The meat smells incredibly meat-like, in a good way, and is neither overly dry nor overly moist.

Should I be concerned about the lack of loss in weight?

beefnchedda fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 21, 2012

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

beefnchedda posted:

So I am attempting to make duck proscuitto for Thanksgiving.

I had the breast hanging in refrigerator, wrapped in cheesecloth for 14 days, but it has only lost 1.5 ounces (9% weight loss).
The meat smells incredibly meat-like, in a good way, and is neither overly dry nor overly moist.

Should I be concerned about the lack of loss in weight?

Still alive.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Xarb posted:

How did they turn out?

I just salted my duck breasts but just read in the Ruhlman book that they should be hung in a humid place about 50 to 60F/8 to 15C. Summer just started here so I have the humidity down pat but the temp may be a bit of a problem as it's been getting well above 30C/85F. Is that why you hung it in the fridge?

I have a small temp controlled fridge I normally use for fermenting beer, could I use that to hang my ducks? Or is leaving them to dry in a sealed environment a bad idea?

Basically I'm wondering how people are controlling the temp/humidity when curing?

They actually turned out great and were a big hit at the party. I did very little to control the temperature and humidity. I thought the humidity would be too low in the refrigerator, so I placed a cup of water in there - which probably caused the unit to have too much humidity. Either way, the taste was spot on.

The recipe I used was a modified Ruhlman, where I gave two breasts a rub of fennel, pepper, coriander (seed), and salt, then placed the two breasts meat side to meat side before wrapping in cheesecloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Cross post from general discussion :

Scaling help?

I need to make 285 servings of duck rilletes and 185 servings of pork rilletes but am having a tough time scaling the recipes I have found.

It seems I would need between 55 and 75 pounds of duck and between 40 and 50 pounds of pork? Do these numbers seem right? I am aiming for about 2 to 3 ounces per person.

• Locked thread