Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Some of you are doing gods work in this thread.

My grocery store I frequent has a charcuterie section and I've always wanted to try some stuff but don't know where to start. I get San Daniele prosciutto when it's on sale and it's the most delicious meat I've ever put into my mouth hole. What's some other stuff I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

ada shatan posted:

Try some prosciutto di parma and see if you like that as well. You will probably also want to explore some salamis. If they have it, see if you can get some lomo as that has some similar characteristics to san daniele prosciutto.

Grocery stores are tough to buy from since you are just getting pre-packaged and often mass-produced product. See if you can find a proper deli, as they can help guide you based on your tastes, and will likely have fresher and more diverse products.

Thanks for the suggestions! I probably did it a disservice by calling it a grocery store. They have what I think is a nice deli, they have $120 per/lb ibérico ham and a bunch of other expensive stuff. They just have so much it's a bit intimidating.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Jose posted:

so hearing about nduja i ordered some off amazon. how long will it last in the fridge? forever?

Why is today the first time in my life I'm hearing about nduja??? Why isn't spreadable salami put on literally everything I buy?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

It looks encapsulated in fat... I wonder how it tasted.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I like to buy Prosciutto di Parma and San Daniele when it's on sale. Most recently Prosciutto Toscano was on sale at my local grocery and I decided to try some. There's some weird cruncy crystallization thing going on that's weirding me out and nothing I've experienced with any other prosciutto I've had. Is this normal? Is it the curing salt or something? The butcher mentioned he cut into the rind a bit and gave me extra slices, did that gently caress up ruin the majority of my meat?

The pieces that aren't crunchy are delicious :smith:. Way saltier than the other's I've tried, but still amazing.

• Locked thread