Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just put two pieces of belly in a cure. I trimmed the skin or rind or whatever off before I did it, was that correct? Also, how should I prepare the skin that I cut off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does just straight up deep frying it puff it up, or do I need to dehydrate it first?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I see Ruhlman says I need to rub my bacon half way through. SHould I be turning it daily or anything else? I feel like I should be more involved in this process.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the help all!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Excellent. I split the mix in the OP between two belly pieces, one with brown sugar and the other with maple. It doesn't seem like a lot of syrup, so I'm hoping it still comes through.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey I want to corn a beef. Any preferred recipe? I I only have pink salt, and I see that Alton Browns recipe calls for salt peter. I assume they aren't changeable but is there a conversion I can do and use it instead?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I put one in brine yesterday. Just used a whole bunch of everything. We'll see if I overspiced. 2tbsps doesn't seem like a hell of a lot for a gallon of brine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is a really stupid question but is it safe for me to taste the pink salt directly? Like I won't get a nitrate overdose or anything will I?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same thing happened to me with the Ruhlman corned beef. Needs more time in the brine I think.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That happened to me with the brisket I cured. Apparently needed a few more days in the cure. Tasted fine though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know it's not exactly charcuterie, but can someone here try making some casu marzu and report back?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A butcher's knife is pretty different from a slicer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whybird posted:

I just finished curing my first batch of bacon, from pork belly. It looks OK, but it's way too tough to cut into slices and when I did cut a chunk off and fried it it was tasty, but far too salty to enjoy. Is there any way I can reduce the salty flavour, like soaking it in water overnight or something?

E: Just spotted the post further up this page -- I'll be sure to try that next time. Do I have any options available now I've dried it in the oven, or am I just going to have to use my rack of salty pork sparingly as lardons?

Soaking it in water should help, I would think.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never injured myself on a micro plane, despite scraping it with my hand many times. It doesn't cut like a regular grater or shredder does.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tweek posted:

Never use liquid smoke.

Why not? It's smoke particulate, in liquid form.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A mixture of sugar and potassium nitrite would be pretty flammable, right? Or at least make lots of white smoke if you light it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Breaky posted:

Potassium nitrAte I think. Not sure that nitrIte would cut it.

We used to mix up sugar and potassium nitrate with a little bit of binder and cast it in cheap paper tubes to make rockets and poo poo. (I was a huge pyro as a kid).

Yeah I couldn't remember which I used, or if I had used both, but they were great for smoke bombs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Breaky posted:

Or melt a hole right through the 5lb solid glass ashtray you lit them in, subsequently burning a hole through the coffee table below that and a good portion of the carpet... :ohdear:

(It is a total mystery how I survived past the age of 12)

It will also leave a permanent scorch mark if you just dump the mixture on the sidewalk in front of the shed and light it there. Mom will be hella pissed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Oh, also do you think 3/4th of a teaspoon pink salt is enough, or should i add another teaspoon in just to be safe. I don't want to get sick from this stuff.

You're gonna cook it, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Trying some salmon bacon at work, bet it's gonna be tasty.

HOLD THE gently caress UP

And then give me details.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiTEG posted:

Experiment! I made six duck breasts worth of prosciutto a couple months ago and had fun trying it with different flavor combinations. Some of my favorites:

fig bruschetta with duck prosciutto, arugula and balsamic reduction
burrata bruschetta with duck prosciutto and caramelized balsamic onions
mixed green salad with duck prosciutto, candied walnuts, dried cranberries & balsamic vinaigrette

I think there's your answer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that a human limb? WHAT DID YOU DO?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please post a picture of the whole thing just so we can be sure it's not a drifter's leg ok thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Why is this goon allowed to murder/dismember corpses yikes

And then do a poor job of curing them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now post some back bacon with a tramp stamp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A little of that goes a long way, plus those hams are huge. $6/pound really isn't expensive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a Virginia boy, I would say you slice it thin, soak it, then use it for ham biscuits.

Edit: but I have no idea how to store it. I don't think I've ever purchased more than a pound of Virginia at ham at once.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most definitely

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Found a butcher with

3.50/lb frozen pork belly
16/lb frozen duck breasts

Good deal on the belly right? Idk about the duck as I have not bought it before.

Duck doesn't seem special but buy all the belly he will sell you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feelz good man posted:

I use the kitchenaid one. I almost guarantee every bad review about it is caused by people not chilling their meat properly before grinding. I got mine used and I love it.

I was going to say the same thing about standalone electric grinders. Chill/freeze all the attachments prior to use, have your meat just above freezing, and trim your meat of sinew.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

$100 for a really good ham isn't bad at all. The wife and I got a chance to knock around Spain for a few weeks in November, and the really good hams there run 300-500 Euros.

poo poo I was looking at some jamon iberico that they were charging $50 for 3 ounces for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Were you in Spain? I've seen it cost that much here in Australia and in the USA, but I didn't see any quite that expensive while I was in Spain. Funny thing is that I've never had Iberico anywhere not-Spain that I actually thought tasted right. I think they mostly export the stuff that's gone a bit rancid because they assume foreigners can't tell the difference. I've only shelled out the money for Iberico a few times though, so I may have just gotten unlucky.

No I'm talking getting it in the US. I assume it's a lot cheaper over there. What I've had was so loving good. I've only had it twice, but holy poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sadly I've never been to spain. But the Serrano I've gotten here has never done much for me. It was good, but not revelatory like iberico.

And now I really want some good ham. gently caress.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$110..per pound?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

So I got Ruhlman's book today and I've been doing a lot of reading, why do people in this thread say he's loose with food safety? If anything he seems the opposite with his weird insistence that everything that gets hot-smoked smoked needs to be nitrite cured in order to be safe.

edit: Also with the freezing of the pork to kill trichinosis, the infection rate in the US from commercial sources is like one per year.

I think a lot of it stems from his saying that he makes a pot of stock and leaves it sitting out on the stove for a week, heating it up when he needs some.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Eat that horse.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait did you just imply that you charcuteried your parents?

Hey man try not to be so judgey. Everyone's got to eat.

And have you seen the price of pork belly lately?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does someone have a baker's math recipe for bacon cure? I asked for a pork belly at the Asian market today and after some confusion ended up with a 9 pound belly.

Also what's a good price for pork belly these days? Tis was $4.59/lb which seems reasonable but really I have no idea.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With the step in bacon making where you heat to 150...is that just for food safety or does it transform the product somehow? That is, if I'm going to be eating the piece in the next week or so, is that step necessary/beneficial, or do I only need to do that for long term preservation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In regard to bacon, what's the downside (if any) of leaving it in the cure for too long? (im talking days not weeks)

• Locked thread