Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Grue Bouncer posted:

Ok!

So... if you're in the Boston area, try Moody's Delicatessen and Provisions in Waltham...
blah blah blah

Holy crap yes. I live in Waltham and now I know where I am going for non-home made meats. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Anyone have some fun bacon cure recipes they have been using lately?

In the past I've done Ruhlmans, a standard salt/pepper/sugar cure, I've used cinnamon, hops, peppers before. Now I'm looking for something new for my next couple cases of belly.

Every time we do bacon we try to go experimental with a few rubs. Here are some of the types that we have done recently. All of these start with the Ruhlmans and then have the other ingredients added.

Brown Sugar + Cinnamon: This was a surprise hit. The sweet and savory really hit it off with this. Adding the brown sugar was key.
Teriyaki + Hot Sauce: Globs of Kikkoman teriyaki glaze plus some homemade hot sauce. Think char siu.
Rib rub: We use the same dry rib rub we always use when smoking ribs and it is killer.
Black Pepper + Garlic: We've done this a few times with varying amounts of seasoning. This last time, we chopped tons of garlic and pretty much encased the slab in garlic and black pepper. Unbelievably good.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

Flaggy posted:

I think I am going to steal these on my next go around. The Teriyaki one sounds amazing. Did you make the glaze or just buy a jar?

Just bought a jar.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

himajinga posted:

I cured up some pancetta a while back and when I cook it the fat gets all translucent and weird and almost all of the fat renders out of it such that the pan swims in oil, is that normal?

I'm tumescent thinking about that.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

Try some prosciutto di parma and see if you like that as well. You will probably also want to explore some salamis. If they have it, see if you can get some lomo as that has some similar characteristics to san daniele prosciutto.

Grocery stores are tough to buy from since you are just getting pre-packaged and often mass-produced product. See if you can find a proper deli, as they can help guide you based on your tastes, and will likely have fresher and more diverse products.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Party time! I brought a selection of my salumis. Clockwise, from 1 o clock:

lamb prosciutto
Orange/fennel lonza
Saucisson sec
Fennel/red wine salami
Hot coppa
And in the center, 'nduja

Wow. That looks incredible. Well done!

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

sinburger posted:

It's called back bacon. No idea why it's associated with Canada down in the US.

Regardless, fatty belly bacon is the standard.

Back home in Canada we always referred to peameal (or cornmeal) rolled back bacon as Canadian bacon. It's always bothered me in the US when people call those crappy little disks of ham Canadian Bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

Climate control is always the biggest issue, in my experience. Too dry, the outside becomes impermeable before the inside can cure. Too moist, and bacteria develops. Too cold or too hot, the right bacteria won't develop.

Figure out what the environment needs to be and whether or not you can achieve it.

• Locked thread