Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KWC posted:

As for the pellicle, what do people here prefer? After I rinse and dry the belly, I just let it sit out at room temperature for 30-40 minutes while I mess around preparing the smoker and getting the fire ready. I can't say I ever tried to achieve a pellicle on bacon, but I also smoke skin-on and it doesn't seem to make too much sense if you cut off that huge surface area.

I give mine about 12 hours in the fridge fat side down. The lean side gets a bit of a blueish tinge by the end of it. I've never done it another way, so I can't say whether or not it makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Huge_Midget posted:

The Baconing happened today.

Ruhlman's savory bacon recipe adapted from Charcuterie, out of the bag before rinsing and smoking.

When one kind of bacon won't do, make 4! Clockwise starting from the leftmost:
Berkshire hog jowl with simple pink salt, kosher salt, and dextrose cure.
Lola style cured Berkshire jowl.
Berkshire belly with savory bacon cure from Charcuterie.
Berkshire belly with savory bacon cure and added red pepper flake for heat.

Time to

After almost 3 hours over hickory and apple wood you end up with this.

Money shot.

This is gorgeous. Good work.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Petey posted:

...so I think I did it wrong.

probably a humidity problem. did you use the water pan?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

femcastra posted:

Still on the theme of pink salt - I've got limited options available to me here in Japan. Amazon Japan is pretty good for the things that don't meet the norm of Japanese food, but all I can find is pink Himalayan rock salt and pink sea salt. None of them mention "curing", so I"m guessing that they won't be any good for the nitrates that I'd be after.

This is the salt I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=489986

I'm in Tokyo and the only way I could find to get it was for the wife to get sodium nitrate directly from a pharmacist and mixing it with salt.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

femcastra posted:

Bacon!!!!!

The piece down the bottom on the right was from my last batch of bacon prior to getting the curing salt. You can see the difference in colour pretty clearly, but here's another shot anyway:

Apart from the difference in colour, the taste was undeniably different too, much closer to bacon than my previous efforts. All my bacon so far is oven bacon, that's probably how it's gotta be while I'm here in Japan, but I feel like I've turned a corner with the inclusion of some nitrates/nitrites.

I cut up a bit of it tonight, fried it, and put it in pasta bake, and it was awesome.

Hey, I missed this the first time around. How'd you slice that?

I'm in Japan as well and I really don't want to give up space for a slicer. I figured I'd go ask a butcher if they'd slice it for me, but I'd like to hear how you did it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nwin posted:

Anyone got a good source of supply for pork belly in Houston?

901 Bagby St?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm in the middle of making the second of three pastramis and I'd kill for one of those.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
2nd attempt at pastrami is done!

The cure still seems to be missing the dead center of the meat, guess it needed a few more days. That said, way better than the first attempt, and on a scale between 1 and 10 I'd rate it pastrami.

Curing:

Rubbed:

Smoked:

Cut (see how the cure just missed the center?):

Sliced:

My first two attempts were on halves of the point, so I've still got the flat left. I'm hoping I've got it dialed in well enough now to do the flat right.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Big Beef City posted:

When I do corned beef, I use a carving fork to work over the meat with before I put it in the brine. I get no discernible damage to the finished product (in fact, after the brining, I can't even see any holes).

Full disclosure, I usually corn chuck roast instead of brisket, if you feel that'd matter.

Cool I'll give that a go on the next batch.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

flesy posted:

What do you guys eat the duck proscuitto with? It's fine but needs something to go along with it. It came out alright with Ruhlmans recipe but obviously needs something to go along with it, what kind of salad or cheese is good? It's hard to eat a lot of it by itsself!

This time of year I like it wrapped around cantaloupe.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

I uh, wow.

It certainly doesn't look alright, how long has it been aging and how does it smell?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

smilingfish posted:

Thinking of trying to make "gingerbread bacon" during my next batch - basically add all the spices from gingerbread cookies (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg) to the cure along with dark brown muscovado sugar. Thoughts?

I think you should go for it!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ruhlman recipe pastrami. Came out really good.

Nice!

I just had my 3rd attempt at it and it came out quite well. Photo didn't, but oh well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wanting some kind of curing fridge where I could do more raw curing like pancetta, coppa, salami or whatever. Do any of you have something like this, or have any of you looked into it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bone_Enterprise posted:

This was posted on the previous page (eleven posts ago.)

I have a http://www.steaklocker.com on the way as I backed mentioned kickstarter.

Thanks, dunno how I missed that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I pancetta'd:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

wheez the roux posted:

like honestly i've spent time living in rural italy and spain and that looks as good as the best pancetta and guanciale i've seen in my life

Wow, that's certainly good to hear. This is my 3rd and best attempt to date. My wife got me a little wine fridge I've been using to cure stuff in and I think that helped a lot.

The recipe is straight from Ruhlman's book, the only slight change I made was not peppering the outside as much as the recipe calls for.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice color.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Hey meat-thread-

First time trying to make bacon and I've been out and stuck at work more than I planned to be and haven't been able to remove the pork belly from the cure and roast it yet. I think it's been 7 days+36 hours now. Will I destroy if I can't do it until tomorrow morning?

I tend to leave mine in 10 days.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

himajinga posted:

I'm curing some pancetta in my wine fridge with cure#2, they've been in there for about a month now but I'm not sure about how "done" the inside is with regard to moisture loss. The first 1/2cm of darker meat definitely has that solid cured meat quality to it, but the center, pinker ribbon of meat doesn't quite seem done enough. Is this a problem brought on by case hardening? Is there a suggested recovery method for this?

That sounds like it's probably done, it's not supposed to be edible raw or anything.

Here's a pic of what my last batch looked like on the inside:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That's interesting, never had raw pancetta.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've never had raw bacon either.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Pancetta's out! Had some mold problems so I wound up wiping off a lot of pepper. vOv

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The Ruhlman maple bacon over hickory is all I ever do anymore.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Just pulled a fennel/black pepper coppa out of the chamber. Very nice:

Goes great as part of a sweet/salty plate with Cypress Grove Purple Haze, apple and spicy pickled vegetables:

Ok, you convinced me, gonna do it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm a bit color blind, but I can't see what's wrong with it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Trig Discipline posted:

what the gently caress

are you Australian or something?

Wouldn't an Australian be too scared of food poisoning to try making their own bacon though? I'm going with Canadian.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm flattered you think I'm influential enough to have come up with the name Canadian bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wanting to try my hand at capicola for a while now, but I can't seem to find beef bung caps here in Japan. Do any of you know any online shops that ship internationally?

• Locked thread