Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Negative to your negative, this is not how osmosis works! Salt pulls moisture from the outer cells, and slowly works its way to the center, once it's reached the center, those cells will reach an equilibrium, and take some of their moisture back, as their salt levels lower. It's less like a balloon and more like, I dunno, a meat sponge.

That's not really how it works either.

The salt in the brine and the salt naturally in the pork move towards equilibrium do to the force of a greater concentration of salt within the brine. To reach this equilibrium water can come out of the meat and into the brine. This dilutes the brine and concentrates the salt within the meat until it matches the concentration within the brine. The other way to reach equilibrium is for salt to enter the meat until it reaches the same concentration as that within the brine.

The other forces at play are capillary action. Most of the water within muscles are held by the myofibrils through capillary action. When salt enters the muscle cells it creates some denaturing of the myofibrils causing them to constrict creating more space for water. So the meat will pull in more water the same way a plant does.

In the end there should be more water and more salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Anyone grind their own turkey for sausage? I was going to buy some birds soon when they are cheap and make sausage. Is there enough fat or will I need to add a bit of beef or hog fat?

• Locked thread