Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Amethyste posted:

My poor husband has had to listen to me going on about what you all have made...he is cursing your names as I type :P

Any man complaining about his wife desire to make bacon does not deserve her :)

I am off the the Pacific Ocean Market (local Asian grocery store) for some pork belly. I make pancetta from the previous version of this thread, now it's time for Ruhlman's bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
I decided to corn a beef since I had pretty much everything but the brisket in my pantry, used Ruhlman's recipe here modified a few spices that I was missing and it turned out fantastic! I had never done that before, always store bought, never again :)

My bacon is still curing in the fridge, can't wait to try and smoke it tomorrow. I stole a bit of the bacon to cook with my cabbage and it was amazing.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

How much better was it than store bought? Can you say anything about how the two differ?

I thought it was quite a bit better, my wife was over the moon with it. We has a store bought 3 or 4 weeks ago that spawned this idea so it is sort of fresh in my mind if not an A / B comparison. We typically throw it in the crock pot for 6-8 hours and then put in some potatoes and cabbage for the last hour. Low to no effort eat it for 3 days sort of meal.

This one I did on the stove top in a pot over a low simmer for 3 hours or so with the cabbage / potatoes segregated. I think this made the biggest differences, browning the cabbage in bacon fat then simmering with the pot liqure was amazing compared to just cooking it in a crock pot. The meat itself was a lot firmer, I expect this was due to the much shorter cooking time. I thought it was salter, but not in a bad way, my wife did not think the salt level deviated much from a store bought. I did taste the crushed red peppers and loved it, not so much heat but a good capsium hint that I have never had in a pre made. Smelled the house up something good compared to a crock pot.

All and all totally worth it, it was really not much more effort. Just planing in advance. If you have anything close to the correct pickling spice the only hard thing to find was pink salt and hey, this is the Charcuterie thread, so you probably already snort a line or two of nitrates a week and have some to spare. A++ would corn again :)

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
4th'ing the Ruhlman's corned beef. I made one about a year ago and is was awesome. I might have posted pics in this thread or an old Curing thread.

• Locked thread