Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Scott Justice posted:

I have one pork belly in the fridge and I plan to buy two more. I got it at wholefoods and they don't carry products with nitrates. Would kosher salt be enough to cure the bacon? Any loop holes on how to only use kosher salt and still be safe? Would they sell curing salts at trader joes or any other places near union square?

Are you in San Francisco? One of the stores in the Ferry Building sells it for about $4 for four ounces. I think it's Village Market? It's kind of hidden near the back, and they come in plain clear plastic baggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

Kid posted:

I have a baconmergency!

I am making another 10-lb of bacon, and I think I messed it up pretty badly. I cured it in the fridge for a week, then forgot to bake it and sliced it right away.

Is there any way to fix this? Think i can just heat the slices in the stove now then pack them away? Or would it be better to freeze everything and defrost a few slices as needed?

That is what I am thinking might be my only solution.

The bacon should be fine the fridge for a week or so or in the freezer for a lot longer. The sodium nitrate takes care of most of the harmful bacteria. instead of roasting my bacon in the oven I cold smoked it at around 60 degrees for 8 hours. I've been cooking sliced pieces from the freezer for the past few months to no ill effect.

forgot to take pictures last night, but I made corned beef using Ruhlman's recipe and it turned out excellent. Tonight I'm going to smoke a few pounds of it to make pastrami.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

goodness posted:

What is this filleto you are speaking of. I can't find anything on google really.

Looks like filetto is dry cured pork tenderloin similar to lonza-
http://meatgeek.co.uk/dry-cured-pork-fillet/

I finally found a good source for duck breast and picked up some this afternoon. Inaugural recipe for my new curing chamber will be duck prosciutto, but if I have room I'll throw some filetto in there as well.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

flesy posted:

What do you guys eat the duck proscuitto with? It's fine but needs something to go along with it. It came out alright with Ruhlmans recipe but obviously needs something to go along with it, what kind of salad or cheese is good? It's hard to eat a lot of it by itsself!

Experiment! I made six duck breasts worth of prosciutto a couple months ago and had fun trying it with different flavor combinations. Some of my favorites:

fig bruschetta with duck prosciutto, arugula and balsamic reduction
burrata bruschetta with duck prosciutto and caramelized balsamic onions
mixed green salad with duck prosciutto, candied walnuts, dried cranberries & balsamic vinaigrette

• Locked thread