Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Appl posted:

Here is the finished duck prosciutto (front centre) on a tray with purchased lonza, bresaola, parma prosciutto and soppressata that I put out at my new years party:

Served with cheese tray containing buffalo milk semi soft cheese, apricot stilton, smokey blue cheese, grey owl, 10 yr old cheddar, cranberry peppercorn compote.

and mostly homemade pickle tray: pumpkin pickles, standard pickles, white asparagus pickles, spicy pickled green beans, pepperoncini, sun dried tomatoes:

Jesus, I want to go to your parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, went and found some "pork side meat" at the local butchery-place. All they had was frozen :\
$4.89/lb seems absurdly pricey, especially when their own fantastic in-house bacon is $5.69/lb. I got a hunk anyway, we'll see how it comes out, it's thawing now.

There's a specialty meat wholesaler down near where I work, I may have to talk to them. Even if they make me buy 25lbs at a time, I can freeze some and bacon it up in chunks.

ooh, actually they've updated their site, they list

BSP53719 Skinless Sheet Bellies 5/Box

Is that 5 bellies per box or 5lb boxes, do you think?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So I don't know what the gently caress I got sold. It's proper bacon-y pork bellyish on one end mostly except for an entire quarter of it that is just fat, no lean on it whatsoever. The other end is a mess, where the belly ends is a very thick section of that sort of fluffy fat and then just straight lean pork. The whole thing is about 3 inches thick on one end and it tapers down to practically nothing at the other end. Skin still on it, too. There's no way to get more than about a half a pound of proper bacon out of this and I don't know wtf you would do with the rest of it. What a loving mess, I don't know what to do with this, I just chucked it back into the fridge in a fury.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 31, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pfhreak posted:

Smokey lean meats are good for flavoring soups and dishes when cubed. So are smokey fats. Dice that poo poo up fine and toss it in a picadillo or split pea soup. Are you really telling me you have no idea what to do with salty, smokey fat?

I want Bacon :\

I know, there's no bad pork fat, but I am disappointed that this is now a salvage operation when I explicitly told the butcher what I was planning.

• Locked thread