Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I too have joined the fresh bacon revolution with 5 pounds curing in my fridge.

Question time: The house I'm currently renting has the weirdest closet/room thing in the basement. I'm pretty sure it's under my front porch, all concrete walls, cold all the time. I put a temperature/humidity gauge in there and it seems to be staying about 58 degrees and over 80% relative humidity at all times. Is that much humidity too much for dry-curing or making pancetta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Pancetta is pretty forgiving, its ideal humidity is 60% for a roll. That being said, drop a small dehumidifer down there in that corner, you can get them for 30 bucks and see if that makes a difference. If you can get it to closer to 60% you will have the bomb curing area.

It turns out the $8 hygrometer/thermometer I have in there was off by about 20%. Got a new digital one and it's holding steady at 57 percent and 56 degrees. That seems a bit better.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

First bacon success! Stuff on the right is just the straight basic cure, I added a bunch of fresh black pepper to the left one. Both are delicious. It's a bit salty, but the 1 minute blanch fixes that right up. Hooray for fresh bacon!

• Locked thread