Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Joborgzorz posted:

Is this referring to the pre-mixed curing salts (i.e. prague powder #1) or pure sodium nitrite? I'm assuming it's the blend but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!

I'm almost positive it's a blend of sodium nitrite and regular salt. I thought Ruhlman mentioned the percents in his book, but I'm not seeing it.

I tried making some kielbasa the other weekend and was having a horrible time both keeping things cold and doing the actual stuffing. Do folks usually grind with the small die right away? Or with the large, then the small die on your grinder? For the stuffing itself, I kept getting tears in the casings. Was it just cheap casings? Are there any techniques for the stuffing process to mitigate that? Are there any tricks when you get a tear to prevent too much waste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Okay so, dumb question.

I finally managed to smuggle some pink salt into Vancouver, and am going out to get some bellies later this morning. When I cure them, should I be cutting the skin off of them, or just let them be? Will the cure soften the skin enough in the next week to not be annoying to slice through and eat? What about if I make pancetta?

What mindplux said, but I'll also throw in that I tend to bake, rather than smoke, bacon and even then I leave the skin on until after I've cooked it and then cut it off while it's still hot before slicing.

You definitely want to cut the skin off for pancetta, since you won't have an opportunity for that once you've rolled it up.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Thank you gentlemen. Six pounds of belly are in the fridge, waiting to be delicious.

Also, by all means keep the skin. I'm told it makes a great addition to soups/stocks. The time I made pancetta I also salted the skin and baked it later on to make some pretty tasty pork rinds.

Another sausage question; what do folks do about the twists in links? Do you just cut it after you're done stuffing? Do you tie some butcher's twine around it so stuffing doesn't come out at all during cooking? I'd been doing the latter, but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or not.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Scott Justice posted:

I have one pork belly in the fridge and I plan to buy two more. I got it at wholefoods and they don't carry products with nitrates. Would kosher salt be enough to cure the bacon? Any loop holes on how to only use kosher salt and still be safe? Would they sell curing salts at trader joes or any other places near union square?

Hopefully someone will chime in here if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any safety issues curing bacon without sodium nitrite; it's important for dry cured sausages but for whole muscles (bacon, corned beef) it's there for the flavor it imparts. You might need a bit more salt but you should be fine.

What you'll be missing out on is the distinctive taste of bacon; what you'll have will taste a bit more like a cut of pork. It'll be safe to eat and still delicious, but it might not taste like bacon you're used to buying in super markets. If you want that distinct taste you might want to ask the folks at Whole Foods what they do use, it's probably celery powder, which has some amount of natural nitrites in it, and maybe they can hook you up with that. You can also just order some online.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Strumpy posted:

Beginner question; I'm looking at making some duck breast prosciutto, most of the recipes seem to air dry the breast for between 10-15 days but looking at the ingredients they don't include curing salt #2. All of the reading i've done seems to indicate that you should use salt #2 if air drying and I'd like to understand why none of the recipes for duck breast prosciutto i've look at include this.

You do not need curing salt #2 for duck prosciutto. For a whole muscle it is not necessary to add curing salts when air drying, and typically it's used for air dried sausages where there is risk of botulism.

• Locked thread