Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I started 3lbs of the OP recipe bacon last night. This morning, there was a layer of liquid in the ziplock bag I stuck the pork into. I poured it off, but should I worry about replacing the salt/curing salt that got washed off by whatever draining happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

schwein11 posted:

That liquid is natural, and you want it to be there. Ideally some liquid will form and then every day or so you'll flip the belly over to submerge the opposite side in it. I don't know what harm you've done by pouring out the liquid (but don't pour out any more). Maybe someone else can speak to that.

Whups! Well, hope it'll be fine. I'll let it be. Thanks.
Had it in my head that curing = drying and well, ignorance occured.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

mindphlux posted:

if you wanted to be safe, you might measure out an appropriate amount of cure, mix it with a cup of water or however much, and add that back to the bag.

I think I will do that exact thing as soon as I get home from work. Gah. Teach me to not know what to expect during a cure!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Trip report on the bacon that I drained a bit of moisture out of after a few hours. I took mindphlux's advice and added a similar amount of water with a bit more curing salt in.

7 days later, did the oven bit, took 2 hours for it to hit 150 degrees in the center. The result? It's beautiful! Sliced off an end and fryed it up, delicious. Easily better than store bought. It's a touch saltier than I prefer but my ignorant move in the beginning might be the cause. The next batch will be identical to the OP recipe, well half the next batch. The other half is going to be jalapeno/garlic cured. I'm ordering that book, I'm hooked.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Last week I put 2 three pound blabs of belly in the fridge to cure into bacon.

Last night, when overhauling them, I noticed that one had a lot of fluid in the bag, and was still pretty squishy. The other one was quite firm, but had almost no liquid in the bag. Tomorrow, Wed., is the 7 day mark.

Is that something to be concerned about? Or does it just mean one slab didn't have as much water in it as the other?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Psychobabble posted:

Just a hunch, but is the one that lost a lot of liquid a cut that is primarily meat while the other one is mostly fat?

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Makes sense! Thank you.

Bacon turned out more salty than I care for. I will 1) use less salt next time 2) wash even more carefully after cure and 3) try blanching this batch before cooking as the good book reccomends.

Other than the salt overpowering the subtle flavors, it was still drat good. Chewy.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I have to say, that bacon looks beautiful in the smoker there, Kid. I am jealous! I really need to get a smoker of my own.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I just pulled a slab of belly out of the fridge after a week in the Ruhlman cure, bacon time. I'm getting ready to pop it in the oven for a couple hours, per instructions and I noticed the skin has a greenish cast in a couple spots. The meat looks fine, there's no odor, it doesn't feel slimy. Just a couple color patches.

Trouble? Or just slice it off?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Awesome! Thank you very much!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Musket posted:

I cured the back and jowl with a homemade bourbon salt.

I... I might have to beg or bribe you for this recipe.

Seriously... I am on my knees here.

Wow.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Musket posted:

snip: bourbon awesomeness

Thank you VERY much!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

there is interest.

There is also interest in hearing about how you rigged the freezer!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

This is easy (because I don't have to dig up photos). I originally used an old refrigerator, but when it blew out, I replaced it with a freezer. Either works fine, but he freezer has more storage space.

Literally all I did was buy an Auber TH210 thermostat/hygrostat.

Well that's pretty cool, regardless.
Thank you for the write up!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Every year I go on a week long camping trip with friends. Every year I make a passel of sah-seges to share around in return for much alcohol.

This year I gifted myself a new toy:

with which I made about 9 lbs of this:

Sai Ua Samun Phrai via Andy Ricker's Pok Pok recipe.

Test sample indicates: Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Bet that will be amazing with a cold beer. Are you planning to grill it?

Yessir! Over coals in a fire pit somewhere in the desert.
The taste test put it in the ball park, flavor-wise, from what I had when I holidayed in Thailand a few year back. SO excited.

• Locked thread