Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Where do startups usually get funding in the early stages? Is it usually just friends and family? I have a friend who is trying to do an engineering startup which needs almost a million dollars in the first year to get it off the ground. Where would he even get access to this kind of money so early in the game (I guess designing computer hardware is expensive?)? He has a bunch of patents filed so is IP is protected, but I can't dream of any investors that would put so much money in so early.

Where would he go: hedge funds? wall street? And in today's environment is it likely he would get that type of funding?

Edit: This guy's company isn't a pipe dream or fly by night. He's done a bunch of prototypes and has numerous patents filed, and has a proper CEO that isn't some buddy of the street. I'm just wondering where all this capital would even come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

unixbeard posted:

Go to SF and start sucking cocks. There is a boom on right now driving by walls of money looking for a home thanks to zero interest rates. There's a bunch of VC events or just try and set up meetings with whoever will listen. One mil isn't really that much, if anything you want to aim high, a guy with 100 mil would probably rather give 10 mil to 10 people than 1 mil to 100 people.

So basically he's got to get a powerpoint deck together and pitch to whoever will listen? I'm sure his CEO is trying to ring people up and set up meetings right now for them, if he's a decent CEO. I'm just curious as to the funding environment because he seems to be nervous about the availability due to the ongoing economic crisis.

• Locked thread