Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

_areaman posted:

A year or so ago I was examining a startup called "Doband", which I thought would fail. However, the guy really took it seriously and moved to Silicon Valley to try and get funding. A couple days ago the name popped back into my head for some reason, and my googles found this link:

http://workstream.doband.org/ (password 'action')

It's a frequently updated workstream of their last few months, and you can see both the rapidly shifting product as various VC's give their input, and his frustration in struggling to secure funding. I applaud him for his effort and tenacity, but the idea is pretty weak (maximum 30 potential customers, "action oriented brands" like Nike) and the name is horrible. Reminds me of doobie and doodie.

That just seems like a 'to do' list app, with advertising connected to a person's interests and a "social networking" angle thrown in. Like some sort of facebook-meets-groupon-meets-kickstarter(sans the donation angle)-meets-StumbleUpon. The idea doesn't actually seem so bad but the name is horrible. Definitely seems a bit superfluous, though, but I suppose it'd have a niche if he decided to look beyond "action oriented brands." I actually kind of like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

_areaman posted:

I think his vision was more like, Nike starts a campaign of working out more, and people join up, and receive discounts from Nike for accomplishing goals and taking pictures of their Air Jordans and whatnot. Then he has this alternate vision, where people start "dreams" and get benefits for accomplishing them.

Essentially it's a glorified to-do list app that kind of has a Groupon discount thing going. In order to be accomplished as he sees it, it really needs to be all-out and funded so giant corporations take them seriously. My gut just tells me it won't succeed, but it isn't a terrible idea.

Yeah, that seems less feasible. But an "I want to read/learn more=Barnes & Noble coupon" or "I want to cook a dinner/climb a mountain/make my own beer=coupons from companies related to those goals" engine with a strong social aspect would actually seem pretty cool now that I think about it.
......Goon business, anyone?

• Locked thread