Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008
This isn't exactly a very high tech startup, but lately I've had a business idea of scanning/digitizing businesses's and people's documents and paper files. I do a lot of this for a relative of mine (what was once a huge file cabinet now fits on a single DVD, organized and even many files OCR) but am thinking that it is very feasible to do so as a small business.

I can think of some liability issues (lots of files scanned may be legal/important documents), is there any easy business insurance I can get for that?

Advertising-wise, aside from word of mouth I'm thinking also just putting a bunch of listings on craigslist computer services and business services section, though that may seem like an unprofessional advertisement type at first but it can work. Maybe also some other advertising choices on publications run for local businesses in my area.

How feasible is this idea? Is it best I get a business name, address (even a UPS box address), LLC formed, liability insurance (how necessary would this be?), etc before starting to advertise or right away can I offer my scanning services personally to businesses and get the professional things mentioned set up later?

This has been a pretty interesting thread, thanks for any feedback.

thegoonofaudio fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread