Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
My $0.02: You're probably doomed. Recruiters probably won't use it.

Were I connected to my computer at the moment I might be more clear and specific, but basically I don't know what this product is supposed to do that isn't already done much better by someone else, and at a larger scale. If this were not a recruiting app I might not kill it off in my mind so hastily, but recruiting is a money and numbers game from the start, and that is where all of its utility lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Seraphiel posted:

I'm currently a manager at a UK-based angel investment network, so I generally see a lot of entrepreneurial proposals and whatnot, so I'd be glad to answer any questions if you guys have any?

What ideas are overdone, and which ones are big opportunities with strangely little interest?

What should cynical devs make if they're just chasing money? What is an ambitious idea which you think will be big?

What interest is there in Google Glasses outside of nerdy Android developers?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

snagger posted:

Hey dudes, can I get one upvote here? https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5404889 That'll put me back in the 'Ask' heading and hopefully get some critiques coming in.

They check referrers and voting up from a direct link. You gotta link the newest page and get people to find and upvote it from that for it to have a major effect.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

movax posted:

Just thinking quicker would be nice (like 3 years instead) as my long term plans would be around that range, but that's all subject to change, I suppose!

Any comments / suggestions re: the number of units/stocks you're given?

Ask for the number of fully diluted shares outstanding if you want to know the % of the company it is.

Not sure how wise or not it would be to ask for share price or whether it's founder stock or normal stock, as I've never asked, but those would be useful data points.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

in_cahoots posted:

I read an article on Hacker News that went through the math and basically said that shares were worth much less than just taking a higher salary unless you're one of the very first employees. E.g. If you have 0.10% of a company that gets bought for $50 million, that's worth $50,000. Over the four years it took for the shares to vest, it amounts to ~$12,500 a year. So if you're being paid below market rate there's a very good chance your shares won't make up the difference.

That's the common impression, yeah. To make that calculation you need to know the valuation of the company, fully diluted shares outstanding, and the number of shares you'd be getting. Alternatively, you can figure out the current valuation of the company from the assigned stock price and your percentage, and sanity-check it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

shrughes posted:

Other tricks: Find a place that serves omelettes and opens at 5 AM. (Don't eat the toast or potatoes.) Find a "Mongolian BBQ" place and figure out when it's not crowded -- this is the ideal form of fast food take-out.

Silicon Valley-specific tip: if you're in South Bay, go to the New Mongolian BBQ place on Castro in downtown Mountain View.

• Locked thread