Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KITTAH
Jul 1, 2008

I'll take your books and sell them for drugs!
I have an idea for a website/service that helps students financially unable to study abroad. We will offer exclusive scholarships/grants/loan rates to those who meet requirements and offer easy access to apply for outside ones as well. Additionally, we will look for companies to offer sponsorships for a student studying a relevant subject to study abroad. Obviously I will have to negotiate these exclusive loan rates, scholarships, and grants with the companies.

Another special feature I have been pondering over is the ability for a student to start his/her own fundraiser page on the website. Set a goal, raise money, fun. Maybe our business will make enough money to give a goal setter an extra 2% of the goal, cool!

After discussion around campus, it seems that the #1 reason students do not study abroad is because they cannot afford it without a private loan, which sounds scarey.

There are already websites that offer links to scholarships, but financial needs aren't the #1 concern. They also offer links to private loans, but they are all to the same few places. Their websites are also ugly and not the easiest to navigate.

I feel this would be a business that universities would love to associate themselves with in order to help facilitate students to study abroad - which helps to drive legitimate traffic.

Money will be generated through advertising. I cannot currently think of another solid way to monetize the business.

I have a catchy name already.

Thoughts?

KITTAH fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KITTAH
Jul 1, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

So you're basically acting as a loan broker for students to borrow money and study overseas? How will you secure those loans? What's your idea for pursuing those who default?

We actually do not give out the loans. We would negotiate an exclusive rate for loans from private lenders, and the student's who qualify will be given some sort of unique code which they give when they apply for the loan through the private lender.

It would be a cooperative effort from the private lender and us. I am hoping that I can convince these lenders to offer an exclusive rate to financially needy students who want to study abroad. Hopefully the idea of getting a loan out they otherwise wouldn't (and helping a student accomplish his dreamsssss) would be incentive. I will likely call my personal private loan lender up and discuss this with them, as they are not a corporate giant and will give me some advice.

Of course, it would be awesome if we can eventually give out our own loans. I have actually not looked into that process. Will do now!

KITTAH
Jul 1, 2008

snagger posted:

All good criticisms. The content website is always plan B if I could not come up with a substantial unique plan for the business. Thanks!

• Locked thread