Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
So I need help deciding what kind of business to incorporate as. My partner and I are based in Texas. We have an MVP already, and in fact have had a demo to investors who have promised a 7 figure sum to us. (as of now its still 0 money, cuz we haven't seen a penny yet). However, one thing we haven't done yet is incorporate. I know that the canonical advice is a Delaware C Corp, but it seems there is a decent amount of costs associated as far as paying state taxes, etc. I assume that we might take some funding from investors in exchange for shares/stock in the company.

So what to do here? Should we use something like Clerky.com or one of the other DE registry services such as https://www.delawareinc.com/ourservices/ ?

Any suggestions from those who have done this already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Stripe Atlas is made for people in your situation.

The only thing is that we don't plan to be retail, so having a credit card processor is sort of useless for us.

Motronic posted:

I think you need to do more research on your own. The reason so many companies are incorporated in Delaware is because there is no state tax. You seem to be under the opposite impression.

Alternately (and optimally) you should hire a lawyer who does this for a living rather than trying to template your way through the process. How are you going to know how to answer questions like how many shares or what accounting method you are going to use? Do you understand the implications of those choices? Probably not, so professional advice is warranted.

Corps are not one-size fits all filings. Someone needs to understand your goals and potential structure to make good recommendations.

I think you are right about the lawyer. I think thats what is on our list for the next week or two

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
So we did it.... We incorporated. The primary reason we were pushed to this is we saw a market that needed someone to fill a large value need. Let's hope this takes off!

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

Read the 1st half of Chaos Monkeys

Friend of mine wrote that. Great book.

• Locked thread