Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Leperflesh posted:

Do you mean to say you are working without any contract whatsoever? Because that's pretty bad for you. They could refuse to pay you and you'd have no particular recourse.

If they have no contract and don't pay him then having his code and using it is a copyright violation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's a question of the brogrammer ratio. Also no real startups exist outside of California, they're just lifestyle companies.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Analytic Engine posted:

It seems like a more risky location to work than California or the East Coast (especially for an American)

That may depend on whether you include health care in that risk assessment.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

movax posted:

Not about founding a startup, but rather working for one...what should I be looking for/at/negotiating when it comes to stock options? I've been offered 2k 'units' @ some fixed price, with 25% vesture after year 1 and a smaller chunk every quarter there after (full vest at 4 years). I take it's probably weird to request a change in that schedule?

That would be very weird. The 4 year vesting schedule is quite standard. What kind of change are you looking for?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You'll just be dumb if you try to sustain 7 days. You have to take a break. Basically the main rules I follow when working a lot without going insane are to always sleep without an alarm, and on days when you're working, avoid all foods (or drink) with carbohydrates (carbs make you dumb for an hour or two, and this is also an easy way to avoid falling into a junk food diet), and always be awake from 5-11 AM Saturday morning for golf no matter what (or substitute a time/activity of your choice). Also, never work more than 12 hours in a day (including lunch). Don't count the hours, count the progress. Review your work the subsequent day and analyze whether its quality is really that good, to make sure you aren't doing worthless sleep-deprived work.

Other tricks: Find a place that serves omelettes and opens at 5 AM. (Don't eat the toast or potatoes.) Find a "Mongolian BBQ" place and figure out when it's not crowded -- this is the ideal form of fast food take-out.

Also one simple goon trick: You can wear the same pair of jeans multiple times without cleaning them and nobody will notice! Also pants generally encapsulate the dirty underwear smell better than shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Silicon Valley-specific tip: if you're in South Bay, go to the New Mongolian BBQ place on Castro in downtown Mountain View.

I was specifically thinking of that one. I got dinner there today.

• Locked thread