Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Anyone else branching out and forming off-line professional services while maintaining their day jobs? Interested in hearing others experiences, and happy to share mine as well.

So I'm basically setting up a 'side-project' that I hope one day turn into a proper professional services business. It will be a news / research / intelligence portal catering to a specific industry (which I currently cover in my present job). The idea is to use it at first more as a creative outlet since the content my firm currently releases that I get involved in is basically less about original thought and more about trying to sell consulting work / kiss rear end. I'm hoping to launch for-sale products and services some time down the line.

At the very least, if things go well and the site goes online and I release some pieces for free, I'm hoping to use it to beef my resume.

My experience so far is this - I have to keep to a very strict schedule, otherwise, it tends to get sidelined by the 'real' job. I'm also trying to avoid any feedback on the name / branding ideas since I have a very specific idea of what it should be and am almost afraid that it would derail me / make me doubt things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread