Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I would be interested in this and willing to contribute. I have experience in software startups, though I have never founded one myself (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

A year or so ago I was examining a startup called "Doband", which I thought would fail. However, the guy really took it seriously and moved to Silicon Valley to try and get funding. A couple days ago the name popped back into my head for some reason, and my googles found this link:

http://workstream.doband.org/ (password 'action')

It's a frequently updated workstream of their last few months, and you can see both the rapidly shifting product as various VC's give their input, and his frustration in struggling to secure funding. I applaud him for his effort and tenacity, but the idea is pretty weak (maximum 30 potential customers, "action oriented brands" like Nike) and the name is horrible. Reminds me of doobie and doodie.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

snagger posted:

I can see the upside here. One person dreams of traveling to Europe and it turns into a group of 5 people planning a trip next summer. Monetizes super-easily with travel companies, language schools/software, or the aforementioned 'action lifestyle' brands for stuff like ski trips.

This could be a pretty lightweight Facebook app, but maybe that's not aiming high enough for these guys. *shrug*

I think his vision was more like, Nike starts a campaign of working out more, and people join up, and receive discounts from Nike for accomplishing goals and taking pictures of their Air Jordans and whatnot. Then he has this alternate vision, where people start "dreams" and get benefits for accomplishing them.

Essentially it's a glorified to-do list app that kind of has a Groupon discount thing going. In order to be accomplished as he sees it, it really needs to be all-out and funded so giant corporations take them seriously. My gut just tells me it won't succeed, but it isn't a terrible idea.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Here is my free idea:

1. A craigslist buying service where you pay an inspector to deal with crazy people and robbers to go secure you the goods you are looking for without the risk of death. It would work like the ebay stores but in reverse. You would make money by charging a fee and also by negotiating the purchase prices lower and keeping the difference.

Maybe something with a quoting system? Like you post, "I want 300 pounds of junk taken away from my garage," and people bid down on the service. They have to handle the whole thing, but the website vets the 'contractors' and people review them. Isn't this sort of like Angie's list?

snagger posted:

Hey dudes!

So, discussion seems to be somewhat happening. How about we turn this into a serious thread?

Aside from possibilities I mentioned in my OP, here are some more things that seem to have come up:

-Life in a startup
-Follow the progress of (optionally, goon) startups
-Hey, is my idea any good? FAQ

These are a lot of points. Should I remake a thread with placeholders?

I think an FAQ would be good to store links and bits of advice, but why can't you just edit the first post to include this?

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

My startup was founded by a business guy, but he had 10 years as a VP at Apple and had experience as a product manager, so he might be an aberration. It would be difficult to justify the salary of a non-programmer at a tech startup with only a few people. Business guys with tons of time on their hands tend to muck with the product because they have nothing else to do.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

The prebranding website idea might find a niche, but personally if I was going to put put my heart and soul into making a company, I'd certainly want to put time into thinking of a name and logo that I like and reflects my business. Doing all that work and then saying "whatever" about its name seems ridiculous. But again, there may be a niche.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I've always been curious what the scope of Entrepreneurship is considered 'startup'? Is it a term typically exclusive to internet startups, or just anyone who decides to start a business up on their own and just refers to the infant stages of any business?

I'd say a startup is any business you think has the potential to grow rapidly. I wouldn't call a small landscaping business someone creates a 'startup'. Also, there is a serious distinction between services companies and product companies. A services company is limited in growth by the amount of contracts they can bring in, for instance building mobile apps or websites. A product company sells a product and tries to increase the potential market by modifying and improving the product, so there is a lot more potential for rapid growth.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

The cost of living is high. Really high. But tech job salaries are also high. Some people who move here kind of get shocked at apartment prices or whatever and decide it's too expensive, before realizing that their entry-level programming job will pay $100k and it's (relatively speaking) not that bad. Of course, most people who live here are pretty much accustomed to paying more than 50% of our income for housing, too, when I guess 1/3 is more usual in other parts of the country.

I'm a lifelong Boston resident, and much of what you said sounds like it is out here (except worse weather, and surprisingly less liberal politics despite what you hear about Massachusetts). However, anyone who spends even 1/3 of their entire post-tax salary on housing, let alone 50%, is doing something wrong. Or maybe my priorities are different from a typical yuppie. In Boston, you can live in a pretty nice one bedroom apartment for sub-$1500/month if you move a little farther out from the prime locations.

Anyway, I got this solicitation today:

Startup posted:

Why you want this job:

Other than becoming part of our glorious team this job allows a technical co-founder to hold the reigns of the site development. You call the shots. As co-founder, it also proffers significant stake in the business. REDACTED is a fast-growing company and we want you to grow with us. With dozens of designers signed on and thousands of users already interested, as well as some big-name partnerhsips, we need a CTO to scale the site and take it to the next level.

Skills Required:

We are looking for a rockstar developer who is able to seamlessly move between all aspects of a web application: any serious candidate should feel comfortable writing a new jQuery plugin to solve a current front-end problem to implementing a distributed system using tools like Django. We are looking for a designer that can not only think out-of-the-box but define and create the box: your college degree and grades do not matter to us. If you are fun to work with, REDACTED and are passionate about designing beautiful software we want to talk to you.

All of our software is deployed on Amazon EC2 using a variety of open-source products such as Django, JQuery, Nginx, Fabric, Gunicorn, MongoDB to name a few. If you do not like our current technology stack, shoot us an email, tell us why it stinks, and give us your suggestions.

Any ideal candidate would possess most of the following:

A college degree in CS, Math, EE or equivalent.
A love for both functional and non-functional programming languages.
A scrappy, entrepreneurial attitude that gets high-quality projects done quickly.
Deep understanding, familiarity and skill with programming for the web.
Experience in Objective-C and Python (Django) is a plus, but not required.
Ability to touch many different parts of our system such as: deploying a new set of boxes on EC2, debugging network inefficiencies, implementing optimized graphics algorithms in C or OpenGL, writing optimized SQL queries, writing NodeJS applications, or developing and optimizing a recommendation engine which can be used to find new products for existing customers based on features extracted from past purchase and click data. (The point: you should be able to pick up new things very quickly and feel comfortable working autonomously.)
A demonstrated history of intellectual and entrepreneurial exploration.
An ability to write elegant, readable, and well-documented code.

I got this from someone related to it and I'm not sure they would want me to post the name, so I edited it out.

I have experience with most of the things they require, even a sizable node.js application, but I don't think the person they envision really exists. Expert in web programming as well as functional OpenGL algorithms? Wtf? I question how much they actually know about software development, despite the wide range of technologies and buzz words listed. It looks like something a VC guided them on writing.

I plan on leaving my current company in 1-2 years and finding a position similar to this in an early stage startup, but for the skills they require I would ask for an enormous equity stake as well as a high salary. It seems like they want to work a single person to death rather than hire a team to build out a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I want to harvest more money out of my users. I built a free app that integrates with a financial investment product. I get 3 to 10 new users every day purely from organic app store search. I get about $1.60 per user, per year off of mobile ads. The subscription product that removes the ads nets me $4.55 per user, per year. I'm not really interested in ideas for pushing more subscriptions, I'd rather just make more money off of everyone if possible. I have many ideas for how to sell more subscriptions, but the big money will be in increasing the money extracted from the huge amount of non-premium users.

I would like more users, of course, but that is really the job of the business I integrate with, as a subsection of their users naturally seek me out if they want to operate via mobile, because I'm basically the only game in town as the competition is laughably bad. I am trying several tactics to get more users per day, which is helping, but that is a tough battle.

I have considered renting / selling my email list, but I have yet to find a way to reliably do this in a straightforward manner. Any info or opinions on this? I have lots of detailed information about each user, as well.

Also, there is affiliate marketing. Amazon does not allow you to put affiliate links in mobile apps that aren't in the Fire store, which I find odd considering how much money they would make, so for affiliate marketing I'm basically pushing weird financial services I have never used, or pushing products from weird retail websites to them. I'd rather just find cool, relevant amazon products (books, etc.) and put some affiliate links in the app, which I apparently can't do (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, my users REALLY love my product, I'm extremely reactive to their needs and am helping them invest lots of money. So the user base is very active, using the app several times each day.

So, does anyone know any tricks for squeezing more dollars out of your users?

• Locked thread