Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lord1234 posted:

I know that the canonical advice is a Delaware C Corp, but it seems there is a decent amount of costs associated as far as paying state taxes, etc. I assume that we might take some funding from investors in exchange for shares/stock in the company.

I think you need to do more research on your own. The reason so many companies are incorporated in Delaware is because there is no state tax. You seem to be under the opposite impression.

Alternately (and optimally) you should hire a lawyer who does this for a living rather than trying to template your way through the process. How are you going to know how to answer questions like how many shares or what accounting method you are going to use? Do you understand the implications of those choices? Probably not, so professional advice is warranted.

Corps are not one-size fits all filings. Someone needs to understand your goals and potential structure to make good recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Delaware gets away with no state tax in part because it charges an unusually high franchise tax.

It's based on the number of shares, so it could be several hundred dollars a year for even a very small C corp.

It's based on the number of ISSUED shares, but that's difficult to find and not obvious on the franchise tax forms. That's another reason why it's a good idea to have an accountant who knows how this all works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

huhu posted:

Has anyone tried to find a manufacturer overseas?

If you're talking about SE Asia it's theoretically possible to do this over the phone/email/video conference but I don't know of many people who have been satisfied with the results. That's just not how business is done there.

Perhaps your requirements are simple enough though.

Alternately, if these are common components have you considered checking if one of the component supply houses in the US would do this for you? Packing components is kinda their jam. I'm talking Mouser/DigiKey/Jameco.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

huhu posted:

Just to clarify, I would be able to say something like "I want 10 of part A, 2 of part B, and 1 of part C per bag. I would like to place an order for 100 bags"? If so, where should I look, I'm poking around those websites and don't see anything.

Yeah, that's what I figured you were asking. And this isn't something you're going to find on a web site. You're going to need to pick up the phone and call sales.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just to add to this and to explain "business isn't done that way there", the first place I thought of for this is Sim Lim Tower in Singapore. The place is crazy, but nobody bothers to keep web sites and sometimes even phone numbers up to date.

https://www.simlimtower.sg/

You pretty much need to get your rear end to Singapore and spend a couple days wandering around figuring out who might be best at what you need to get done and getting quotes from them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

huhu posted:

I am talking with a manufacturer/assembler about taking over part of the responsibility for my product. I currently pay $1.91 for components per product and do the cutting to size of some of the components myself and do the bagging. With this, I wouldn't have to bag or cut to size, and everything would be RoHS compliant. How do I even begin estimating how much I should make as a first offer in terms of payment?

Why would you be making the first offer?

Don't do that. You are asking for a service quote. Don't screw yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I thought you don't need to pay tax on capital gains until you realize them, i.e. selling your stake?

Realization can mean a few things with equity. Like, you don't realize a gain when an option vests, but you do when an RSU does. And there are other possibilities that I'm sure I'm not even aware of.

Bottom line, you need to get EXACTLY what type(s) of equity you were granted, when they vest and bring it to a proper accountant BEFORE any paperwork is filed that locks you into a decision of declining the equity (which you may or may not be able to do depending on what you've already signed) or paying taxes on it.

• Locked thread