Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sry4partying
May 17, 2010
Hey everyone, wanted a critique on my startup:

We noticed a few problems in the start up world: 1. It is getting increasingly difficult to search for a domain, the time it takes outweighs everything when the product should be the focus. 2. It is prohibitively expensive to buy a domain from other sources. Our site alleviates these two concerns. We create BRANDED domains: we sell the domain + logo.

Our site is here: http://namella.com/

We're looking for some feedback on our site, is our value proposition clear? Other directions we could take with this site is that it spurs entrepreneurial ideas within the viewer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sry4partying
May 17, 2010

snagger posted:

I like it! I'll chime in with four quick things after a 30-second look over:

1. Play with the tagline a bit and see what works best. If I'm understanding the value prop right, I'd suggest "An available domain name + matching professional logo for $199."

2. Is that competitive pricing? I vaguely recall reading about services that specialize in naming things on the very high-end, like massive consumer electronics products or new pharmaceuticals. I wouldn't be surprised to see if someone were doing just this part of it for the bootstrap market. So, is a name and a 99designs-ish logo worth it for $199? Am I saving money? Are you guys good at this naming thing or are you just smoking the ganj once a week and buying up domains?

3. About domains: can you offer added TLDs (.net, etc.) and common typos/misspellings? Can you ensure that the name won't be fighting for Google PageRank?

4. The grid of available names/logos may be sending me in the wrong direction. Is that your inventory of available names and that's what I get to run with right now? I'm much more interested in having a quick conversation with you about what my startup idea is and paying you $X for a clever name/domain and logo within a week.

All that said, I think you're solving a legit problem and someone may buy into this.

1. Yea the tagline needs work, it needs to be short enough to look good but descriptive enough to get the point across.

2. I'd like to think we're good at this naming thing, look at the fantastic names we have in our portfolio! Offering a service is in our immediate future, were planning on building that into the site without taking away from the pre-branded brands.

3. We don't want to offer any pre-branded TLDs that isnt a .com. We will work with a custom job if the customer wants it.

4. Thats what we have available for our pre-branded domains. Phase two is to introduce customization/professionalization for people's brands. Our idea is that this "store" should give us credibility for people to pay for custom jobs where real money is.

sry4partying
May 17, 2010

Konstantin posted:

One big thing I think you may be neglecting is the IP side of this. The memefront.com and memeoable.com logos in particular look like ticking time bombs, no one really knows who originally created those images, so there is no way to prove that you aren't infringing on someone's IP. There is no way I would want to take that risk with my startup. The PayPleaser logo looks way too much like the PayPal logo, so there's another lawsuit waiting to happen.

Also, what exactly am I buying? You're selling more than domain names, so what else does the $199 buy? A PNG file? Copyrights to a logo that you may or may not have? Assistance in building a website or brand? You need to make this clearer.

We've definitely taken this into consideration. I think our designer went a little too close with PayPleaser and that is something were working on. The meme stuff is so publicly utilized that really, nobody can claim ownership.

You're buying a brand, an identity. Have you ever tried to come up with a catchy name for your startup, along with a logo? We're targeting developers that want to focus more on their product and don't have time to deal with the domain name/logo search process. They can come to our site and drop a couple bills and have a fantastic domain with a logo that will last them through the first round of funding. You'd be paying MULTIPLES of our price for the work we offer on Sedo or Brandbucket.

sry4partying
May 17, 2010

snagger posted:

On one point, I have an unanswered question. On the other, I have an opinion:

3. If I give you $200 to buy fotouplodr.com, I don't want there to exist a competing domain (such as the .net variant) OR another service with the same name that already exists in Google results. Are you taking these potential customer needs into consideration with each domain name you offer?

4. OK, so having been introduced to BrandBucket, I see that they offer a similar service to your 'phase one,' and you're trying to undercut them. Which is fine - I find their designs more appealing but much more expensive. If you want to undercut those guys, that's cool, but I think the bigger opportunity is in what you're calling 'phase two,' and you could instead create a portfolio of clients akin to any web designer's portfolio instead of showing your inventory. (Edit for clarity: I think you should move straight into phase two as quickly as possible.)

Lastly, now that Konstantin has brought up the IP question, you guys may want to make sure you're digging deeply. Hiplure, PayPleaser and MoneyTilt all called to mind Shopify due to the font, and MoneyTilt's little icon thing looks like it could have come from a stock library.

3. That's an interesting point. I think once we gain traction including recognition of the Namella brand, we can definitely start to consider these. As it stands, brandbucket does not provide this service and they are wildly successful. However, it may be a way to differentiate ourselves from them. Interesting, thanks.

4. Right, It really depends on the direction of the customer. If our pre-branded domains are successful, we will build up that business. If our custom products are successful, then we will focus on that. In the meantime, until our site gains traction, I feel it is in our best interest to offer both services side by side. We're working on our site to bring notice to our customization services.

Thank you for your comments everyone!

sry4partying
May 17, 2010

mcsuede posted:

A service to resell good domains to startups is one thing but prebranding them with logos is ridiculous and detrimental to those potential businesses. Branding doesn't work like that, or rather, good branding doesn't work like that.

Care to explain how pre-branding is detrimental to a potential business? Think of a casual entrepreneur who has a full time job, trying to diversify his income stream with a consulting business. He has some ideas for his company, but nothing he's set on. He wants a great domain name that his customers will remember, but nothing he comes up with is available. He's open to really anything catchy, and that's where we come in. He'll visit our site, choose from a few solid domains "Agrity.com" for a hypothetical finance consulting business called "Agrity Consulting" or "RipeBrand.com" for a hypothetical marketing business. The logos are meant to generate excitement for the brand and the domain. We've had a few customers so far that have liked it. :)

sry4partying
May 17, 2010

mcsuede posted:

Branding is not branding if it doesn't take into account the actual dynamics of the company the branding is for, their competition, their goals, their audience, etc.

Creating random logos is just graphic arts: not even graphic design and certainly not branding.

There are already a million places a lazy and lovely startup guy can find a logo at for cheap, why bother, and why target the bottom of the barrel anyway? People that go for that sort of thing probably aren't going to get anywhere with their business. I know there's a school of lean startup thought that completely disregards branding but that's a huge mistake, at the very least drop a grand and get a really good identity freelancer to put something together.

Brandbucket.com is WILDLY successful with their business, and we want to take a slice of that. I guess I posted here not to see if this is a viable business model (it is, see brandbucket), but maybe to look for a way to execute better or potentially differentiate ourselves from them.

sry4partying
May 17, 2010
Hey everyone,

I posted late last year about my startup (http://www.namella.com) and received mixed feedback from most of you. The site was largely successful (so gently caress you!), but we noticed that our customers overwhelmingly wanted custom domains.

We pivoted.

Yesterday we relaunched Namella as sort of a brand consultancy, we will provide custom domains for $199.

So check us out and let me know what you guys think of the new strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sry4partying
May 17, 2010

jjttjj posted:

stuff

Thanks for the feedback! This is exactly what we wanted, an intermediate page that asks simple questions about the biz. I gotta say that we're working on it, but shopping cart apps are tricky for creative people, to say the least.

Edit: Implemented! Thanks!

sry4partying fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 3, 2012

• Locked thread