Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Octopus guy. I think you need to focus a little more. What is the one unfair advantage your giving the people who sign up with you? Is it better hiring or better collaboration? Decide and make the lesser or the two support the other. Good for its own sake doesnt sell very well. Clear links to how this makes me able to out perform MY competition does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

KoRMaK posted:

I have a couple creative ideas that I want to start engaging other people for help with. They take the form of software. How do I go about seeking people out and hiring them as a freelancer while protecting my idea? Do I just need an NDA? If so, where can I find a reliable source for NDA tempaltes and other legal templates. or should I find a lawyer? What kind of lawyer?

I also am open to the idea of finding partners on these ideas, where should I go to get setup in place for that kind of engagement? For instance, I'm a software developer and I'd like to find a graphic artist to be my creative partner and work on the graphics, splitting ownership of the project 50/50 - what ways are there to make that official and legally binding?

You can probably get a boilerplate nda from the Internet which is good enough until you need a lawyer for other things.

If you want to officially split your company you need to actually make one and then divide shares to fit the split. Either see a lawyer or get googling. Although you can do it more informally at first you will want to do it properly fairly quickly once you have established you're actually going through with everything.

50-50 with an artist seems dumb though. Either this is a real business in which case either pay cash or bring on an artist who had other more valuable skills to a start up or its just for funsies in which case 50% of bubkiss is still bubkiss.

If this is a real business there are very few ideas where my first employee/partner is ever going to be the graphics guy. If your primarily a coder you probably want a business type person (inc finance). Sales, marketing and product will also be fairly early depending on the idea and your skill set. Don't fall into the trap of thinking all you need to do is make a cool thing and everything else will fall into place. Its a cliched adage but mcdonalds dont make billions because they make the best burgers.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Have you considered splitting it into two legal entities. Aim for a quick exit to a large dating site on the romance use the cash to fund the second company properly as that actually sounds interesting.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

Does anyone here work in fintech? I've spent the last 8 years in finance (specifically, derivatives operations in investment banking) and looking to somehow leverage this experience or at least the name recognition of my current firm. Bitcoin itself is laughably lovely but the underlying technology like blockchain and distributed ledgers could mean big big changes for things like ISDA contracts and settlements.

I'm not a programmer or any kind of engineer so not even sure where to start. Should I just try and find someone who already has an idea and see if they are looking for a founding partner?

Start with two basic questions.

Where do you live? (Although the answer is go out and meet people)
How does derivatives apply to the blockchain? What exactly are you offering if someone else has to bring the idea and the ability to make it happen? (Not being harsh here but if I was about the start a company why should I give you a huge chunk of equity to start it with me?)

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

There is tonnes of stuff happening in the banking and investment space at the moment. Not 100% up on the usa scene but look at Europe. London, Switzerland, frankfurt all have plenty of start ups happening in that space (and what appears to be a more understanding regulatory environment).

If you were here Id recommend going to a fintech start up event that has a large amount of start ups doing quick demos of themselves to see what people are doing and to then reach out and talk to the people doing things that interest you, not with a get in bed with them type goal but to get a better idea of where you might fit in and it helps to get your face and name out there.

Maybe you can find videos of these events and try connecting with people online from japan?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Can the spanish guy on the visa still be a director of/make money in spain?

Logically (note laws may not follow logic) the us company can own the spanish or visa versa but the spanish one can pay the visa guy in spain.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

The internet has mixed advice about whether someone on an F1 visa can get paid from a foreign company. Apparently the law is ambiguous and some lawyers say not to risk it as it's against the spirit of the law. But we're trying to get legal advice in that arena. Also IP issues, corporate structure... this whole thing is complicated.

The other angle is to look at not paying saleries and paying via dividend. There is no way any kind of visa says you can't hold stock (espeically in your home country) and earn dividend income from them.

You may end up having to have him not have an official job just being a stockholder of one or both companies.

Then again i am not a lawyer and this poo poo is complicated.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Maybe reach out to those protest/consumer groups. A quote from them saying this is a great idea we are behind it, would be helpful both to convinvce customers (takeaway the cost and pain or crop spraying, take away the pain of the interest grohp) and investors (the consumer group wont instead switch to protesting your product).

Other than that I would want to see the math. Maybe I don want to see all the calculations straight away (i will eventually before you get a penny) but initually I need to know this makes commercial sense. How much will it cost to produce, any unusual fixed costs (ie. The lab) then what does each item (or whatever you call what a farmer buys) cost to make, deliver and 'install' in the plants. Then I want to see that number next to the costs a farmer currently spends on whatever the current methods of acheiving their goals are. Then if that story makes sense I start to care about how good your product is. Whats different to spraying, why does it work, how does it work. Be honest upfront about risks. Show me farmers that are interested.

Is it at all possible to set up a trial with a local farmer to prove your story? Or maybe ask for a lower seed amount of cash to run this kinda of trial before going out and asking for bigger sums?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

You can always post a craigslist asking for people who use product X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

You could always do as much research as you can. Lay it all out and work through a calculation, pull numbers out your rear end where you have to.

Put it all on a slide or similar so its really clear how you got there and then go ask an investor to give you money based on it. They'll happily point out your mistakes.

• Locked thread