Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Vulture Culture posted:

Ultimately you need to be concerned with the people who are telling you "I'll give you money if _____" and not internet loudmouths but this thing I quoted is a non-answer. Who's going to be acting on this information, and how does that concretely help facilitate better self-organizing teams?

I know this is implied in your statement, but ideally people are telling you that in some binding way. Eg, not internet loudmouths that will say they will give you money, but people you've spoken to that will actually give you money. It's very easy to assume one is the other and walk yourself off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Doghouse posted:

I have an idea for a software project, but I'd like to do some research that would hopefully test whether or not there would be a market or interest for such a thing before I start putting hours into working on it. It basically has to do with help and guidance finding and starting affordable college programs.

Anyone have any good recommendations on how to gauge interest? I tried a Google survey, but I realized the results were not very helpful since it's not targeted to only those people without a degree or looking to go back to school.

Buy Reddit ads for a sign up page.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

You're super helpful. Thank you.

So, the motor show got back to me and while they would allow me to poll, they wanted a fee that is more than I can afford pre-investment. So now setting up a site to take email and preferences is the next step.

What are some very low cost ways to get traffic to the site? I'm operating on the assumption that social media is the only real way, and the plan is to start putting in work to build brand awareness through that channel once I get some graphics finalised. Are there other avenues to explore that I'm missing?

And lastly, a perhaps somewhat naive question. I don't get how not to advertise it as coming soon. Surely, if it's a landing page rather than a fully fleshed-out website it's very apparent it's not ready? And if I can get around that, wouldn't advertising it as ready when it's not create a negative customer experience?

I'm sorry if those questions are all basic. I really appreciate the input.

Marking it as not ready corrupts your results. You're trying to figure out if people will go to the order page.

No one will try to buy things they know don't exist.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Gounads posted:

There's a red-flag if I ever saw one.

Any code written is copyrightable and is intellectual property, I have no idea what "true IP" is. You need to triple check your employment contract now. Be especially wary about anything along the lines of "any inventions made while employed..."

Building a startup that is directly related and used by your employer. Maybe you'd even be paid by the employer to work on it... um... Go talk to a lawyer before going any further.

Lol I exempted about 30 things on my way into my current job because they have draconian BS like that. They assign any non-exempted invention built during or prior to employment.

I asked to add something to it (after getting the OK from my chill manager), and HR said "wow you have a lot of these"

All I could think was, "and still not enough".

• Locked thread