Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Is this place exclusively for tech startups, or do magazine startups fit too? I'm the founding publisher of a pretty small outdoors magazine based in Oregon. We call it O2. It's basically a pet project at this point as nobody gets paid, but we really have hit a sweet spot with our physical magazines and are growing larger with every issue.

Subscriptions should be up soon for anyone who might be interested. Good stuff for the coffee table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

laxbro posted:

I'd be very interested to hear about this. The magazines are free, and you make money on advertisements? How did build a subscription base? I'd thought that most of this sort of thing had gone the way of blogs/online magazines. It seems like it would take a lot of cash flow to make a glossy print magazine profitable.

Do you have a lot of connections in the outdoor/action sport industry to make this worthwhile, or do you have another business that this would complement?

The project started as a group of students in our journalism school who wanted to make something that didn't yet exist. We were all interested in the outdoors and our school didn't really have an outlet for it, so we made our own.

The magazines are primarily being distributed at our launch parties, on campus and at supporting businesses, all for free. It is difficult to fund the magazine, but it gets a lot easier every single issue. We are finally starting to get interest from bigger companies that will allow us to grow.

I am working to set up the infrastructure that will allow for subscriptions both from businesses and consumers, which I'm hoping will allow us to grow even more.

If people are genuinely interested I'd be happy to start a 'I ignored everyones advice and helped found a print magazine, AMA' thread.

• Locked thread