Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
So the other day I hacked up a quick tech demo for a library I wanted to try and learn more about. I frequent SH/SC and the Cavern of Cobol a bit, and I thought "hey, there are two threads about finding jobs!" so I based my demo around that. The result was a day and a half's work called GoonJobs. It's got a simplistic visual bent and focuses just on the hirer/hiree relationship which I find differentiates itself to other jobs sites.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like I might be able to make a bit of supplementary dough on the side (I'm a self-employed software developer). Now the question is, is targeting "jobs for goons" a decent enough market? Should I widen the scope of the project to make it more accessible to outsiders?

My initial thoughts have been trying to gain a bit of exposure by buying a few banner ads and perhaps giving away some trial codes in those threads. All I'm afraid (?) of is that I'll get laughed at for trying to do it. I've already released one product since I've gone solo and it didn't really take off at all. My ideas about monetization are what I've implemented: you pay a few bucks to gain the ability to reply to job listings or contact people listed as for hire. For those that are interested, here are a few activation codes which'll give you a free account for GoonJobs:

82371accd1 , 2c501d0e0e , 0b8ccebf8f , 07b973f72a , d09b089ace , 7f0ac4e4ec , 5dba137d55 , 7f3b6e4364

Scathing feedback would be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
If its any consolation, I hate recruiters. I guess it's not really for recruiters because it encourages 1:1 contact between the hirer and applicant / talent. Thanks for the link though, it's interesting food for thought.

• Locked thread