Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hypha posted:

This won't be a problem. I tried leaving the farm, this startup idea is me coming back.

Shot you a PM, I might have some resources for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

bee posted:

So this leads me to my question - how critical is it for our startup to have a marketing strategy, in particular in regards to social media at this point in time? I'd really appreciate some outside perspective, thanks!

Understanding who your customer is, what they want, why they think they want it and what they might be willing to pay for it is like one of the most fundamental aspects of the startup process, so if you say you don't have a marketing strategy this raises a little bit of a red flag to me.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I have a question that might be a little bit left field but maybe you guys will have some insight.

I am in the process of building a startup that aims to substantially decrease hospital costs through a relatively-low-cost, totally-novel administrative intervention. So far, we haven't enrolled anyone (patients are "users" in our startup) in our prototype, but have nailed down the workflow pretty clearly. Because I work at an academic medical center, I have been trying to get my place of employment to be our first customer (hospitals, who realize the savings, are "customers").

Individuals I contacted during customer discovery have found my solution very compelling, with buzz traveling up and down through our institution, and now leadership have requested to meet with me (the meeting is myself - a junior level guy - and the COO, division director and surgery director) next week.

My startup is pretty early stage (like, concept), but if our solution works like our customers have told us it will, we'll be incredibly valuable.

1) I'm worried that they'll just assign this to me as a project, using company resources, and not pursue this from the angle of being a customer. How do I make a compelling case that they're better off pursuing the value of this opportunity as a customer?

2) Should I offer them MORE equity? Because I came up with the idea as an employee, I had to disclose the idea right away, but since there's nothing patented it doesn't qualify as "true IP" that they can seize 50% of (they're entitled to like, 1% equity of the startup only).

3) How should I arrange the topic of pricing with them if they agree to act as customers? Should I price at our costs, so that I can get proof of concept and leave them as much value as possible to make the deal "sweet?" Should I price the product fairly, so that I can use revenues to grow? I don't want to burn any bridges here, since my job is quite good on its own but I would like them to allow me to run this experiment, get proof of concept and then enjoy the rewards together.

4) Should I just tell them "I would like you to allow me to trial this intervention, get proof of concept and then enjoy the rewards together?"

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Gounads posted:

There's a red-flag if I ever saw one.

Any code written is copyrightable and is intellectual property, I have no idea what "true IP" is. You need to triple check your employment contract now. Be especially wary about anything along the lines of "any inventions made while employed..."

Building a startup that is directly related and used by your employer. Maybe you'd even be paid by the employer to work on it... um... Go talk to a lawyer before going any further.

Our startup employs a process that doesn't seem to be copywriteable or patentable, so it doesn't actually constitute an "invention." Despite this, I'm in the process of contacting an attorney, and thank you for your insight.

• Locked thread