Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
I've got dreams to be dashed I'm in. When you say food industry, resturant or grocery? One of my ideas I'm bouncing around right now is on the grocery side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

jabro posted:

Follow his journey!

Nice find thanks. I'm looking more for a brick and mortar grocery chain thing so this should give me some good perspective from the people who will (hopefully) be trying to get onto my shelves.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

How much credibility does having a PhD or Masters from an Ivy League school give you in the startup world, all other projects/skills being equal? If you have ideas and drive then is it more important to spend 2-3 years networking and working at startups in Boston/Cambridge/Silicon Valley than finishing a higher degree?

I can't say much to the credibility aspect, but I'm going for my Masters for the extra earning potential to backup the startup. In my mind you can never network to much.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks for the perspective. It sounds like having a masters will set you apart. Do most unconnected tech startup guys start with only a good BS degree? I feel like networking is harder in a geographically isolated university, but a higher degree is valuable to me for a lot of other reasons so I don't want to throw away opportunity.

Why not just make a advantage/disadvantage list? Basically everyone's situation is going to be unique and in my case I prefer the safe backup in a guaranteed job and earning potential. Not to mention my partner is doing a lot of the in the field experience and I'm doing the books. I definitely could not say if the financial backing was secured I wouldn't drop school right now to get the ball rolling.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

This in particular is more for a school project, but still applicable I think. How do I find out how much the average cost to build something should be? In this case I'm looking at refrigerators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Twerpling posted:

First, decide on some quantity you are looking to make. Part components out as best you can with COTS parts. If you are dealing with a fridge maybe the compressor is off the shelf, the door hinges, or other components that you don't have to manufacture. Some things have price breaks for quantity so you may find it cheaper per unit to make a whole lot. Additionally if there are large amounts of custom work you need done it may be better to set up a factory and churn the buggers out then just making one offs. Add in an estimate labor costs that you need to pay such as machinists, technicians, inspectors, builders, and whoever actually builds/inspects your product. Factor in some sort of failure rate. Take the entire cost and divide it by the functional ones that come out and there is your cost to build.

This is a pretty general framework, though you can make it fairly accurate if you are OCD enough about all the parts/labor costs.

Also if you are doing an estimate always do worst case cost.

Thanks a lot. This will make the project so much easier to price out. On a returned search I found something I'd rather buy then my groups product though here

• Locked thread