Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Does anyone here work in fintech? I've spent the last 8 years in finance (specifically, derivatives operations in investment banking) and looking to somehow leverage this experience or at least the name recognition of my current firm. Bitcoin itself is laughably lovely but the underlying technology like blockchain and distributed ledgers could mean big big changes for things like ISDA contracts and settlements.

I'm not a programmer or any kind of engineer so not even sure where to start. Should I just try and find someone who already has an idea and see if they are looking for a founding partner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in Tokyo. I've been to a few startup related seminars here and they're pretty unanimous that if you want funding you'll most likely need to leave Japan. So I could potentially move.

But the second question makes that more complicated. One major thing I bring to the table is familiarity with this market, such as its regulatory environment, my network of contacts working in the existing industry, and being bilingual. That's kind of losing importance if I were to move.

One of my big concerns is that there's a disconnect between "Fintech" and where my expertise is. It seems that fintech to most people means making an iPhone app that somehow involves (consumer) finance or loans or BitCoin or quick payment/POS solutions. On the other hand I'm more familiar with things like Dodd Frank regulation and central clearing, trade lifecycle, so the institutional-level stuff. Probably because the massive overhead required (registering with the FSA, yearly inspections, industry memberships, etc.) it seems that there really isn't much room for startups in the space. Rather the existing players are/will be pouring millions into figuring out how to incorporate the technology into the existing infrastructure.

Surely there are other industries where there are similar cases. Lots of big well-established firms with essentially bottomless pits of money to throw at even experimenting, nevermind what happens when they get really serious about it. What do most people do in these situations?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Oh yeah "cloud-based business reporting" just screams Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to me. That is really the thing I'm going to remember right amongst all the posts with pictures of someones lunches, people whining about politics, and check-ins at airport lounges.

Have you thought of focusing on something besides social media. You yourself said most of your sales leads come from elsewhere, why are you wringing your hands so much over an Instagram feed?

• Locked thread