Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.

Hey congrats on the success. This is somewhat minor but when I checked out your site I impulsively just clicked on the "Let's get started" button. I was expecting maybe something like a brief client-interview type form or something other than an offsite shopping cart checkout page. Even though I wasn't really a serious prospective customer of yours I just instinctively ctrl-w'ed out of the page.

I feel that it would be hugely beneficial to have some sort of intermediate page with a few questions, even if they are just contrived or simple as "what is your email address/phone number" or "enter a very brief description of your business", or whatever. Anything besides "pay us first and THEN we'll take care of the rest".

I know it does say google checkout in a big image right below that button, and below that clearly explains that you will receive a call promptly after paying, and also that Google checkout will give you all the relevant contact info. But I don't know, I just don't like how it expected me to pay right away after clicking that, my intuition says it will be much more pleasant if you add another step before sending them to google checkout, even if that step is just collecting redundant info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
I'm tossing around the idea of trying to sell my small ecommerce site. $20k yearly revenue. Profitable, easy to run. One person of the two I asked so far expressed they might be interested in buying it. Obviously the next question is how much do I try to sell it for? I've heard 2-4x yearly revenue is typical, but to me (who has no experience selling this kind of thing), even two times yearly revenue seems like "too much", for considerably less one should definitely be able to very easily replicate my site. Flippa.com seems to have most sites "selling" for like 5x monthly revenue at best (though who knows if they are actually sold for that price.) On the other hand, my search engine rankings are pretty drat close to ideal, and there's no competition from any other website.

How do I get the most money possible without scaring potential buyers away? Obviously some negotiation will take place, I just really can't figure out where to start in the range of 10-80 grand.

I spoke briefly to a business broker... is it a good idea to get one? Can anyone recommend one? The one I talked to seemed to tend to only deal with businesses an order of magnitude larger than mine.

a cat
Aug 8, 2003

meow.
Lets say there's a business up for sale that I'm considering purchasing. The owner (who I haven't yet spoken with) would probably accept somewhere in the range of $80,000-$150,000 with the high end of that being a definite sale and the low end being a guess. The business is profitable with good cash flow and the sale is through an established broker. I could come up with $30K as a down payment. My credit is good, I'm self employed, my income is good this calendar year but not great for last year. I don't have any assets. My question is:

1) Is getting a loan in this situation realistic in this day and age.
2) If so, how does that work? Do I talk to the bank before before making an offer? Or do I make an offer and once it's accepted apply for the loan? Basically, who do I contact first?

• Locked thread