Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sim
Sep 24, 2003

Do you think there is any potential for selling curated links for a specific topic? For example, a "guide book" for learning to blog. Users would pay $5 for a step by step list of everything you need to do: 1. pick a topic, 2. setup Wordpress, 3. edit your articles for SEO, etc. Users would tell the app what step of the process they are on and it would recommend (hand-picked/up-voted) links to tutorials, tips, podcasts, tools, etc. for that exact step.

This would solve a pain point that I personally have and would pay a nominal fee for. I read and bookmark great content all the time, but it rarely applies to the project I am currently working on. By the time I can apply it, I'll have forgotten about the article.

All of the content will be free or a separate fee, so I wouldn't be charging for content, but I would be saving people time doing the research themselves. Considering the success of similar eBooks and online courses, I think there is a market for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I worked at a small design service company for 5 years and the bulk of our clients came from referrals. They were also the best ones. Only a very small percentage of the clients that came from SEM were worth the time. Obviously that doesn't help you fill the pipeline immediately, but it's much easier to land a job based on an existing connection and recommendation than cold calling.

1. Do an amazing job on your first clients; exceed their expectations as much as possible.
2. Assuming they are very satisfied with your work, explicitly ask for a referral.
3. Offer them large discounts on future work for any of their referrals that lead to actual business.
4. Keep in contact with them, make sure they're still happy with the work. This will keep you fresh in their mind.

Hopefully at some point you stop having to work so hard at this and it just happens through word of mouth.

• Locked thread