Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

DreadCthulhu posted:

Any personal experience with closing down a startup after having run it full time for a year or longer? I'm curious if you had any words of wisdom.

What do assets/liabilities look like? Any investors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Sparta posted:

I'm an engineer and Tim Draper is my cousin's [father in law?], so I have technical expertise and a connection I could call.

I've also worked at a bunch of startups and I feel I have a good eye for good ideas. I know 10k is not much, but I want to find ideas in infancy form.

10k isn't nearly enough to get in as an investor except maybe in a pre-seed round as a friend. Even then the paperwork required to accept your $10k and the implications for future funding rounds makes it unlikely anyone getting good advice will take your money. Either find more money or start your own startup and use the $10k as runway.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Emnity posted:

I am looking for some guidance in this here thread.

You have a skill set that would be tremendously valuable to a certain class of startups but also one they are unlikely to recognize they need. Where are you located? If you are in a tech hub your best bet is approaching vc and angel investors and offering them analysis and services for portfolio companies. If you're not in a startup rich environment consider partnering with someone with money and a desire to fund startups and becoming angels/vcs

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

huhu posted:

I'm working in a hardware startup. I've launched a kickstarter that was just fully funded, have taken care of designing a website and figuring out manufacturing. I'm looking for a book that talks about everything else like taxes, accounting, etc. Any good suggestions?

hire an accountant. a good one

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Doghouse posted:

Hmm. Can you expand on that a bit? What would they sign up for exactly?

a newsletter is the common one you see. you don't ever have to actually deliver the newsletter (altho they are good for follow up testing if you get encouraging results from the landing page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What are some very low cost ways to get traffic to the site? I'm operating on the assumption that social media is the only real way, and the plan is to start putting in work to build brand awareness through that channel once I get some graphics finalised. Are there other avenues to explore that I'm missing?

content marketing. start a blog talking about the incredible experience you had driving some classic/luxury car around where ever. or pay someone to write the blog for you. try and figure out how you can get jalopnik or whatever to link to you. talk up your blog on forums and fb groups and twitter. start an instagram account where you post pictures of your trips

make sure all of these things are clearly associated with your service

quote:

And lastly, a perhaps somewhat naive question. I don't get how not to advertise it as coming soon. Surely, if it's a landing page rather than a fully fleshed-out website it's very apparent it's not ready? And if I can get around that, wouldn't advertising it as ready when it's not create a negative customer experience?

your initial goal should just be to get people to give you their email address and/or mailing address

if you plan on offering your service in multiple locations give people a box to enter their location and then tell them sorry, you haven't launched there yet but you'll contact them when you have

• Locked thread