Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My small business scanned all our old documents recently. We used a ScanSnap 1500, and it is really an incredible machine. You will have to compete with companies just buying one of those. It comes with software to make OCRed PDFs, and a a "bookshelf of binders" organization system (that we don't use). Scans double-sided at 15 ppm and can detect double feeds. For around $400 if I remember right.

There is still room for you to have more value than that, though. Scanning all of our stuff took quite a while, maybe 80-160 manhours. For a busy company, that is a lot of time to waste.

We had trouble with large format documents that wouldn't fit in the ScanSnap. We ended up photographing them, but we had to buy a new camera to do that with enough quality. So if you could easily scan big documents that would be a big plus.

Also, organization of the scanned documents is huge. How do you find stuff later? How do you organize stuff in a way that that will be useful to the business? If you can be a mini-expert in methods to organize the documents, that would be really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

I'm a product manager at a startup. Our company went through YC, but I'm not going to be a terribly useful source of advice about how to get in, other than 'don't suck.'

I don't quite get the focus on idea generation and plan creation. That's useful, but building stuff and then selling it to people is where the majority of the work is.

What YC company are you with, if you don't mind sharing?

I think idea generation and plan creation are things that are obviously needed, even if you have no experience building a business. If you haven't tried to actually do anything, you may not yet realize how much work is involved in building & selling, and will concentrate on the areas you know. You generally do need a (possibly bad) plan/idea to get started, so it is not surprising to me that those aspects are discussed the most on general interest forums.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Unless you signed something saying you can't, you should tell us which company/people did this so we don't accidentally use their product.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dump-and-run post IPO does not mean that everyone else needs to get nothing. I personally would not accept a deal that involved loving over all the people who were intrinsic to my success.

As to dicks by default - My experience has been that most people are not looking to screw me over and want the value that I can provide in a mutual benefit to both parties. Honesty and integrity are important to any lasting business relationship. It is very difficult to continually be a dick. (General business, I don't have any direct experience with an IPO)

Maybe big money changes what people are willing to do? Or are they forced into the choice by VC? I have never been in a situation where real big money was on the line. I hope I can maintain my principles should that occur.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Seems like the next step is to get the word out to some other potential customers that you can make them a road case a road case that is better than all they others, the one they have been dreaming of. This could mean going to where performers are in your local area and talking about it/demoing it. Or it could be posts on a muscians' forum on the internet. Or it could be a website with order-form and google adwords.

I think the best option is to do all of these things simultaneously, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

huhu posted:

I'm only doing all of this to learn more, so I'd rather not.

It's good to have an accountant and lawyer, even if you only use them occasionally to ask if you are doing the right thing. But seriously, at least use a tax accountant, it will save you so much time.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 28, 2016

• Locked thread