Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

Leperflesh posted:

I don't understand how you can be "forced" to trade your shares for severance. Also, if the people laying you off knew that they were about to sell the company, and used that insider knowledge to trick you into selling or giving shares to them for a tiny value, that sure seems like illegal insider trading to me.

The SEC takes insider trading accusations seriously. If you feel like you've been burned out of a significant amount of money, I'd consider sending a mail to the Feds.
Forced is a bit strong, and my shares with the vesting schedule would have ultimately been worthless. It was wiser to take the severance and leave. A 12 month vesting cliff is loving worthless if you're going to sell the company in 6 months.

Ultimately, what bothers me the most is being told one thing (product was a failure, company cutting its losses), and then turn out that is not actually the case

SEC enforcement :rolleyes:.

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 13, 2011

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
To the unvested shares question...it was a blanket form they had everyone sign. It was a contract that signed away any claims and stock, and in return you got your severance...I guess it was better then a swift boot.

Shaggar.tar.gz posted:

I know a lot of people who have been burnt so badly at startups. I know one guy who made a bit of cash but nothing you couldnt make at a corporate gig for a few years (which would be a lot less/work stress). Thats a lot of burnt people for one guy that did kinda ok (and he is at a pretty high profile place). Unless you're a founder and don't need external funding the odds are very much against you in my experience. There's exceptions for sure but they are exceptions. Wildly successful startups where even the cooks get rich are so very rare they make headlines across the world and are talked about for years after.

I agree and knew that going in my shot at coming out with money was essentially zero.

I was under the delusion that a startup would shield me from a lot of the typical corporate knifings, and that my efforts would be relatively rewarded. Instead my efforts just helped a couple really rich people get richer, while I took a pay cut and a doubled work load.

Corporate gigs are the same, a few are enriched at the cost of a lot of work...but its not as overt or all consuming.

2nd Rate Poster fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 14, 2011

• Locked thread